General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Flower Plants

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 8 Apr 2013 15:33

I like to plant my own hanging baskets/planters & bring them on in the greenhouse before hardening them off.

I have visited 2 Garden centres today, but other than a few Fuchsia & Pelargonium plugs they had no suitable plants. I know it is only April but I can usually find enough to make a good summer long display

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 8 Apr 2013 15:36

I never plant until 14 May, Carol, my Mother's Birthday. I read that somewhere and have stuck with it for years, much as I am tempted to plant beforehand!

Mersey

Mersey Report 8 Apr 2013 15:43

I cheat now and get my neighbour who is a gardener to make mine.. I don't usually get mine till end of May........ :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Apr 2013 15:46

loads of basket plugs and small plants in garden centres here and in Hampshire.

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 8 Apr 2013 15:46

I usually buy the plugs in April as they need a good month to get big enough to transplant into their flowering container. It works out a lot cheaper buying the plugs & as I do not have to rip roots when transplanting they seem to be stronger plants.

Thank you Ann, I will have to try some more.

wisechild

wisechild Report 8 Apr 2013 15:53

Don´t know about in England, but Lidl in Menorca have had some really healthy looking petunias at €3 45 for 10.(& other plants as well).
We probably get them earlier here because it´s usually warmer, but they are later than usual this year. The temperature is about 5c lower than the seasonal average.
I bought 10 violas about a month ago & they are absolutely spectacular. Must have just hit on a spot they like. They really cheer the patio up, epecially on rainy days.

Maddie

Maddie Report 8 Apr 2013 15:55

I haven't touched mine since the autumn.Was hoping to reuse the moss etc but a cheeky magpiie has been plucking it out for her nest !!!