General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Famous person from the past...

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 10 Apr 2013 17:26

What famous person from the past... would you have liked to have met, and perhaps give a reason ??

GHeather

GHeather Report 10 Apr 2013 17:53

I would hve liked to have met Leonardo da Vinci, and seen some of his paintings and drawings, how they would have looked at that time. Also to find out who really was the: Mona Lisa. Also to find out who is mother was, Catherina was her first name, but not much else is known.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 10 Apr 2013 18:19

Hitler's mother - I'd like to know what she thought of her son Adolf

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 10 Apr 2013 18:47

I would have loved to have met Isambard Kingdom Brunel. A brilliant mechanical and civil engineer who was responsible for many engineering feats in the 1800's.

GP

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 10 Apr 2013 20:01

French President Charles de Gaulle and ask why oh why did he change his mind and let our daft government join the EEC!

Mayfield
;-)

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 10 Apr 2013 20:08

Elizabeth Woodville........wife of Edward 4th....I want to know if the rumours about her using witch craft to get him were true ...and also if she was as much of a manipulator as many say she was.

GHeather

GHeather Report 10 Apr 2013 20:24

Some good replies, anymore... ?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 10 Apr 2013 21:25

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 10 Apr 2013 21:33

Elenor of Aquataine
she was Richard the firsts mum and nasty King Johns to
John was her favorite child
and she went on Crusades well into her 70s
she was also in her time Queen
of both France and England
her life has always amazed me :-D :-D

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 10 Apr 2013 22:14

So many :-D

Obviously Jesus. And St Paul, who I believe was the most intelligent man who ever lived. And Nicodemus, the Jewish leader who met Jesus secretly at night.

On a lighter note, the great Welsh freedom fighter Owain Glyndwr (Owen Glendower). And Gracie Fields (my great uncle had a hotel in Lancaster, she used to stay there when appearing in Lancaster and he said she was a most kind and charming young lady) :-D

And very many of my ancestors. I now like them all, and a few years ago I knew nothing much about them.

McB

McB Report 10 Apr 2013 22:14

Not so distant past Neil Armstrong.

A very brave adventurer

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 10 Apr 2013 22:16

5 minutes in the prison cell with Adolf Hitler...............just 5 minutes!!!

Mersey

Mersey Report 10 Apr 2013 22:23

Vera Atkins

A fascinating lady

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 10 Apr 2013 22:24

Vera Atkins? who she?

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 10 Apr 2013 23:37

Just had a google (quite legal ;-))

Vera Atkins was an Intelligence Officer in WW2 and was born Vera Rosenburg in Romania. Said that Miss Moneypenny was modelled on her. Got the Legion d'Honeur, lived latterly in Winchelsea and died in Hastings aged 92 about 20 years ago.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 10 Apr 2013 23:39

thanks John

Allan

Allan Report 11 Apr 2013 07:08

Lady Godiva, to see what all the fuss was about. Obviously I would like to meet her in, or on, the (horse) flesh

Gins

Gins Report 11 Apr 2013 07:32

Marilyn Monroe because she could tell me all about the Kennedy's, Sinatra and others.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 11 Apr 2013 07:45

Sylvia Pankhurst.

Not just a campaigner for women's rights but also an prominent anti-fascist and anti-colonialist.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 11 Apr 2013 07:51

Croeso, Ann :-D Thanks for update about Sue, btw :-)