General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Famous person from the past...

Page 1 + 1 of 3

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 11 Apr 2013 14:27

Some very interesting replies brill! I suppose there are a number of famous people from the past... we would have liked to have met.

Paula+

Paula+ Report 11 Apr 2013 15:20

I would love to meet Elizabeth Fry she was a compassionate and determined woman who dedicated much of her adult life to helping those in need. She became the UK's most important woman penal reformer. Although known for her prison work, she also supported many other causes. She proposed reforms for mental asylums and worked for nursing standards. She supported moves for the education of working women and to provide better housing for the poor. She also founded hostels and soup kitchens for the homeless and destitute.

martynsue

martynsue Report 11 Apr 2013 15:38

HENRY V111.
i often wonder what he was like as a person,doing exactly what he wanted,
(example)-- cutting ties with the catholic church because they would not give him a annulment on his marriage to catherine of aragon,
he was obsessed with ann boelyn until jane seymore came on the scene etc,
either at war with france or spain,i wonder what his thought's were and how he would cope being a monarch in these day's.

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 11 Apr 2013 15:51

Apart from the person I mentioned in my previous post I would also have liked to meet George Stephenson - A brilliant engineer in the 1800 - Does Stephenson's ROCKET ring a bell.

PAULA - When Elizabeth Fry appeared on the reverse side of a fiver I had never heard of her so I googled her. I was absolutely amazed at her wonderful contribution to society - An amazing women.

GP

LilyL

LilyL Report 11 Apr 2013 15:54

Charles 11! I'd love to have had an audience with him!

Paula+

Paula+ Report 11 Apr 2013 15:56

GP I agree and she was born in 1780, so she really was a woman before her time.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 Apr 2013 17:51

Gins - Marilyn Monroe - good call that one

I absolutely loved her, tragic life on the whole

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 Apr 2013 17:51

Lee Harvey Oswald would be interesting - did he or did he not kill JFK?

Cooper

Cooper Report 11 Apr 2013 17:59

Emma Darwin,

I visited her marital home and would love to find out more about her Wedgewood family

Teresa

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 11 Apr 2013 18:29

Cromwell

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 11 Apr 2013 18:41

I would loved to have met Audrey Hepburn when she made "Breakfast at Tiffanys" in 1961. She was absolutely beautiful.

GP

Island

Island Report 11 Apr 2013 18:48

Oh what the heck.........

Elvis ;-) :-D

AnnC, LHO - good one :-)

GinN

GinN Report 11 Apr 2013 18:49

Elizabeth 1 has always fascinated me. The strongest of the Tudors, and as she said of herself, she had the body of a woman but the heart and mind of a king. Pity that the Tudor dynasty died with her.

I'd like to ask herif she really died a virgin!

Gins

Gins Report 11 Apr 2013 18:54

She was absolutely beautiful

GP.........so she was. Not just her looks, she 'had' something, grace?

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 11 Apr 2013 19:16

GINS - You are quite right - Grace, Elegance and Beauty sums her up completely.

I can picture myself taking her for a drink in a Sheffield Workingman's Club and watching the men's jaws drop as we walk through the door then off for a chip butty afterwards. :-D :-D :-D

GP

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 Apr 2013 19:19

Oliver Cromwell is allegedly in my family tree - Uncle Ollie in our house!!!! It is quite feasible actually

GHeather

GHeather Report 11 Apr 2013 19:31

Brill replies, I enjoyed reading them all, thanks to you ALL for posting! :-D <3 ;-)

GHeather

GHeather Report 11 Apr 2013 19:34

LilyL, I think you would have liked to have met Charles II ? Anyway, Thomas Heather was Chaplain to him, my own surname, he maybe linked to my family ?

SheilaWestWilts

SheilaWestWilts Report 11 Apr 2013 19:59

Julius Caesar - find him fascinating. I guess I would have to brush up on my Latin though :-D

Gins

Gins Report 11 Apr 2013 20:09

Sheffield Workingman's Club!

GP...try Ecclesall Road, Sheffield