General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Schools+Parents.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kay????

Kay???? Report 12 Apr 2013 13:38

Do you know what school/s your parent/s attended as a child?

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 12 Apr 2013 13:48

yes ....and they went to the same school :-D

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 12 Apr 2013 13:51

Yes father & maternal grandmother, my siblings & I went to same one in next village

My mother & my children went to one in this village

:-D

LilyL

LilyL Report 12 Apr 2013 13:52

Yes: My mother went to a Dame School run by her aunt, from there she won a scholarship to the girls grammar school. My father went to the local primary and he also won a scholarship to the boys grammar school.

ChristinaS

ChristinaS Report 12 Apr 2013 13:57

Yes. Both my parents went to schools covered by the London Schools Admissions on Ancestry, but it's a little too early for them.

Have found some grandparents, and great grandparents on there though :-)

What about you Kay - do you know?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Apr 2013 14:07

Yes I know, also have attendance certificates for them.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 12 Apr 2013 14:18

Yes, have some of Dad's reports and he was being urged to try for Cambridge by his teachers - unfortunately the war intervened :-(

Mum's school is still there in the same building although I think its name has changed.

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 12 Apr 2013 14:19

Yes I know where they both went......strange thing is my MIL and my mum went to the same school and were in the same year......both claim not to have known each other though lol .

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Apr 2013 14:22

I know where both my parents went - Dad to the junior and senior schools here in Whitchurch and Mum to a little school which is now a church hall in Llanishen

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 12 Apr 2013 14:23

Yes my Dad went to the school in the village, although C of E his parents chose the Catholic one as they started from aged 4. We went to the C of E one 100 yards further on in the village.

Mum went to one 5 miles away where she was born and raised.

xx

Kay????

Kay???? Report 12 Apr 2013 14:32

Actually I dont know what school my dad went to as a child,,,I know he went to a grammer school,,,,,and know it must have been in the place where was brought up but it certainly wasnt the only grammer school there.

It occured to me while talking about things as you do and schools cropped up and location of records and it struck me then....some digging about to do I think.

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 12 Apr 2013 14:36

The log books from our local schools are with the nearest records office if that helps.

xx

GinN

GinN Report 12 Apr 2013 14:44

Yes, and both of them have long demolished. Mam went a secondary school in Gateshead, and left at 14 to go to a commercial school in Newcastle, and became a Comptometer Operator.
Dad went to grammar school in Consett, but left at 14 to work on a farm, which he later regretted, and became an apprentice dental technician.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 12 Apr 2013 14:59

I am on it Kitty,just that it never occured before I just want it logged on tree.

Fiona

Fiona Report 12 Apr 2013 15:59

Yes, Mum went to the village school , the old school has been demolished but a new school with a new name was built on the same piece of ground,
the name of the school was Tannochside Primary School in Uddingston.

Dad went to Diamond Hall infants and Redby Boys School in Sunderland,

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 12 Apr 2013 16:48

Yes...Mum, Dad And Grand Parents

Somewhere (mislaid at moment) is a bronze medal, bearing grandmothers name issued c1910 in Berkshire, 5years Never Absent Never Late.

Not a bad achievement when you consider she walked miles through all weathers to get there :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 Apr 2013 17:57

I know where my mum went to school - Eastern District school, Chapel, Southampton. The building is now part of Southampton University. Not only did she go there, her dad & grandad did too!

I've got no idea where my dad went to school - and I don't think he had either :-(
Gran used to send him to private schools - yes that's in the plural. He'd attend until the final threat for fees came, gran would withdraw him, change his name and send him off to another one :-S

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 12 Apr 2013 18:08

Yes I know what school my dad went to.
There is Glasgow site that I have looked at many a time where users upload old school photos.
About 3 weeks ago, I was on the site again and this time, I spotted my dad in one pic and his little sister in another.
The photo with my dad in it must date from around 1926
http://www.glesga.ukpals.com/Bridgeton/Schools/SCHsacredheartp19xx.htm

My mum lived in a small town in Donegal and there was only one school that she could have attended!

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 12 Apr 2013 18:30

Also 2 great aunts ...one in an Industrial training school in Andover 1911 and her elder sister at The servants Training School, Winchester 1891 described as a training school for respectable girls between the age of 11 & 15 for service :-(

Joeva

Joeva Report 12 Apr 2013 20:14

I have no record of where my mum went to school, all I know is that it was a Catholic School in Holborn, London. I do know that her most upsetting memory was being late for school one morning she was given the cane on her bum by one of the nuns.......
but the then given another because her knickers were made from tartan material made by her mother........ how sad is that ?

Apparently, according to her brother, my mum was a brilliant student and was university material, but in those days never stood a chance ........

Jo

:-( :-( Double sad.