General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

In prison today.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 13 Apr 2013 22:03

I had some retail therapy today in Oxford and went in the prison one of my ancestors was in before he was sent to Australia. But it is a Hotel now ;-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Apr 2013 22:38

Ah, Zzz, if only the clientel knew.

Winchester's old Prison (In Jewry Street) was a furniture shop. It's now a Wetherspoons pub called the old Gaolhouse.
Apparently, the cells are still underneath.

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 13 Apr 2013 22:45

my uncle is a scientist in oxford uni, we went there last year,its a lovely place.x :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Apr 2013 23:06

Love the indoor market in Oxford :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 13 Apr 2013 23:06

Maggiewinchester.
I would need to investigate that, but before I had any alcohol.
Suzanne.
It is very nice and it is still set out like a prison, jolly expensive though me thinks.

ann

ann Report 13 Apr 2013 23:11

Love Oxford. My ancestors came from Headington Quarry. Was only there last year in the prison. Found it a bit errie. I believe still a Hedges butchers in the indoor market?

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 13 Apr 2013 23:18

Just looked at the prices, nearly 200 quid a night!!!!!!!!
My ancestors are from Ewelme - shiplake, still investigating those areas.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 14 Apr 2013 13:51

Cardiff prison now has a restaurant for the public staffed by inmates

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 14 Apr 2013 14:17

Oh er, not sure I would go there Ann :-\

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 14 Apr 2013 15:18

I was imprisoned in Baghdad. I can't say that it was a terrific experience. The jail is still there full of prisoners. AFAIK there are no plans to convert it into a tourist center or coffee shop mores the pity.

A C19 rellie was given 6 months hard labour for the heinous offense of running a bingo hall - oh yes they were hard men then. Not being used to HMP he died 6 months after being released aged 50. Most of his immediate family emigrated to New Zealand where they prosper to this day. And the prison ? Still full of unhappy prisoners.

I was also imprisoned in Canterbury though released and charges withdrawn. And yes they are closing the horrible place. Heaven knows what will become of it.
as the city has a full complement of coffee shops.