General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What a waste of water and gas

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Apr 2013 13:06

One of taps froze up so our friendly plumber is here (luckily he was in the area when we phoned and came straight here.) But because the tap in the airing cupboard has not been used for ages he has had to drain the hot water tank (it is the hot tap). We are on a meter and I can see pounds going down the plug hole!! and we also now have to arrange to have the airing cupboard taps changes Grrr!!

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 15 Apr 2013 13:27

What's that saying.........

It never rains but it pours!!

:-(

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Apr 2013 14:47

Yep, down the plug :-D

Phyll

Phyll Report 15 Apr 2013 16:33

I know how you're feeling
We had our water and sewerage bills recently. Have trebled in price. We queried this and they are supposed to be sending someone out to see why.
Well, we have realised it is probably our fault. The cistern in the loo doesn't have an outside overflow pipe, it drains back into the cistern and out that way. Been going for months like this apparently so we shall just have to face the music and pay up.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Apr 2013 16:54

Ouch Phyll. Hope you have got it sorted now.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 15 Apr 2013 16:56

AH! a new ballcock valve, I expect!

BrianW

BrianW Report 15 Apr 2013 21:14

Phyll: did you not notice that there was water constantly going down the loo?

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 15 Apr 2013 21:19

ouch, i couldnt possible be on a meter the amount of baths i get lol

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Apr 2013 21:44

We didn't have a choice stray

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 16 Apr 2013 02:56

That's awful, Ann, o.h.had to do that once cos his stupid father nailed through a pipe when helping him do some diy years back.

My son and his gf went back to hers on Sunday after spending time at his flat (Her son was with his daddy) and found her ballcock had broken, a soggy bathroom and the optician's downstairs had a wet room and a waterlogged machine. The landlord came round to replace the part and asked my son whose responsibility he thought it was! Don't see how it can be grlfriend's, but I wondered if there was an overflow which would have shown the water coming out.

Reading what happened to Phyll makes me wonder if that's what happened to Natalie's cistern. With them away they wouldn't have noticed loo flushing constantly and opticians was closed from Saturday midday which is when N. went to my son's.

It must be how my son's loo would be plumbed in to as his loo is on an internal wall. Must tell him to be aware of the fact there is no overflow.

Lizx

Phyll

Phyll Report 16 Apr 2013 11:10

Sorry for delay in replying. We have got our loo sorted now. it was a new system that we had never had before and didn't realise this could happen. We will pay the bills of course and hope that next years will revert back to normal.