General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I have just spent hours reading

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 16 Apr 2013 11:44

A thread linked to the following

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1323279?jump=1323279

All about the years long quest by the helpers on this site to find an old ladies Mothers details. They have gone above and beyond to help the lady and should be applauded methinks.

If you have time on your hands it is worth a read....I am hooked......They are suggesting that A Adolf take on the search being as he is supposed to be the GR 'Expert'

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 16 Apr 2013 12:14

Have been reading this thread for months, I too am hooked. Will she ever know who her mother really was or just left with what mother allowed her to know :-S

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 16 Apr 2013 12:56

Well done to Susan for bringing this to the attention of the members who use the General Chat Board more than the research ones.

Obviously it would be brilliant if the GR resident genealogy expert could be encouraged to help.

Thanks Susan,

Maureen

Kay????

Kay???? Report 16 Apr 2013 13:17

4 years and no one can find a birth.

if she wasnt registered as Diane Leslie Macleod then no birth will be found in that name.

perhaps leg work is needed as not all reasearch can be found from an arm chair,,,, thousands of archived records exsist that are not on the www or ever will be.

wisechild

wisechild Report 16 Apr 2013 14:03

Lots of people who have been helping on Evelyn´s thread have been doing leg work both in Scotland & London, to say nothing of TNA etc.
We all think now that Diane was rather economical with the truth, but it seems really odd that she has left not a trace anywhere.
The thread is addictive.,

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 16 Apr 2013 14:27

Thank you for this thread Susan. :-D

The members who have been part of Evelyn's thread are absolutely wonderful....and I know she has been overwhelmed and touched that we have taken her to our hearts.

A lot of credit goes to FannyByGaslight who has spent many, many hours on this case. She has made phone calls, travelled to look at records, sent for certificates and has gone above and beyond 'the call of duty'.

Unfortunately, FBG had a mini-stroke a few weeks ago so has cut back slightly on what she can do.

Other members too, have made enquiries in their particular field of expertise - including some legwork - especially those in Scotland.

We came to the conclusion, a long time ago, that Diane Leslie MacLeod was not this woman's real name but we have done our darned'est to find out what it actually was!

Over the years, because the thread is so long, I have posted a précis of how we are getting along..............................here is a précis of the précis !!! :-D

DIANE LESLIE MacLEOD born c June 1906-8 India? (so she said).

No verification of this birth can be found whatsoever. Searches have been
made of Indian, Scottish and English births by many people but to no avail as yet.

Possibilities: This is not her real name.

DIANE: Searches have been made under: Donaldina, Dolinda, Dolina etc. - nothing found.

LESLIE: She was very attached to her middle name of Leslie and insisted it was spelled that way. She gave the name to one of her sons. Some searches have been made re this name but maybe we need to do more.

MacLEOD : On her marriage certificate (1929 in London), she states her
father to be Major Robert MacLeod of the 1st Seaforth Highlanders - deceased. Nothing of him can be confirmed despite extensive military searches being made. These can be found on ps 2-4 and 14-15 – 29 and 36 of the thread.

She told her family that she went to live on Stornoway with ‘Aunt Kate and
cousins Donald & Ishbel (Isabelle)’. This family has been researched as probably the family of Rev. Donald MacLeod who was the minister of the church in Tarbat. The present Incumbent of that church has been contacted and was most helpful.

Various agencies in Tarbat have been contacted re this family and Diane but nothing found.

We have almost completed a 'family tree' on that particular MacLeod family but, someone has come forward who is related to them and does not think Diane links to them.

Diane stated that she went to school in Stornoway. The most likely school
would be the Nicolson Institute. A search has been made for her under D.L.M but there is no sign of her under that name.

Other local schools have been contacted but there is nothing to be found under D.L.M.

There is no sign of a DLM on the 1911 Scottish census see p.41

The first absolute sighting we have of her is when she started work at Springfield Hospital in London 7.6.1927 - 19.6.1928. There are, apparently, no more notes in her file.

In 1929 she married, as Diane Leslie MacLeod, a Herbert R.J. Roy in London. Up until her marriage, she received a private allowance, source unknown.

The address given on her marriage certificate is 53 Khartoum Road, Wandsworth, London. The Electoral Roll for 1929 shows the family living at that address were named Kirby. There is no sign of Diane anywhere in Khartoum Road . She may just have been boarding there for a short time prior to her marriage.

Our Evelyn was born in 1932 at 44 Dafforne Road, Wandsworth and Diane and her husband show up there on the Electoral Roll.

Some research has been done on the other occupants but nothing worthwhile was found apart from the fact that one of the occupants was an Evelyn Goddard-Fenwick whom our Evelyn is named after and was her Godmother. See ps. 22-23 of this thread for more details.

Various living Goddard-Fenwick’s have been contacted but to no avail. You can pm me for details on that. We have, over the last couple of years, drawn up a fairly comprehensive family tree for the G-Fs but simply cannot trace the connection.

Just before the search drew to a halt last year, Evelyn remembered her mother reading a local newspaper (Dorset?)in the early 1950's and finding either an article or an obituary about a very old lady who had died in Stornoway aged 91. She stated that it was Aunt Kate. FBG travelled to the local office to look at the microfiche but, again - nothing.

Scotland's People was searched for possible deaths but again, we drew a blank.

At the moment, I am working to try and find where Evelyn was actually baptised, just in case any family members were included as Godparents. I am having lovely phone calls with the incumbent of the most likely parish church but no baptism as yet!!!

So this is where the search is up to so far and still we try........because of our fondness for Evelyn...

If anyone feels they would like to tackle any of the unresolved issues or
re-check anything that has already been done….please do so. It may be that something has been missed or new information is available. Any new info can be added onto the thread itself.

Thank you for reading this epistle....... :- Cx

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 16 Apr 2013 17:07

I would never have found my father or Family if I hadn't known his real name. he used his middle name all his life and on all documents including Army and Marriage.

his Father was hard to find too because it transpired he had a middle name which he never used.

so maybe Diane is her middle name.

If she was known for telling porkies and stressed the spelling of Macleod.....maybe it was spelled another way.....

I know since the thread was started that there have been many more documents made available online..

just thinking aloud, maybe this should have been added to the other thread.

it wasn't my intention to start another but to make others aware of the ongoing thread.

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 16 Apr 2013 17:47

I COULDNT CARRY ON MADE ME QUITE
WOOSIE.BUT DID ANYONE NOTICEE LESLIE WAS
SPELT THE MALE VERSION FEMALE IS LESLEY

Sue (Sylvia Z )

Sue (Sylvia Z ) Report 16 Apr 2013 17:52

Yes Dizzi, I wondered about that spelling of Leslie, but it can also be a surname, as indeed lots of children were given their mother's maiden name as well.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 16 Apr 2013 17:52

Yes Dizzi, we don't know why it was the masculine version....but it was.

Thanks Sue.....I just posted that to whet some appetites!!

All new thoughts on the original thread pretty please...... :-D

Kay????

Kay???? Report 16 Apr 2013 18:38

In Scotland Leslie it would be a family surname spelt that way,,,,,

The Scotland War Grave Project,

Have a site of headstones Sanwick Stornoway Lewis,

Many Macleod headstone killed in WW1 in great detail and photos where possible,,,,,,many of the Seaforth Reg,

Diane /Diana isnt a typical name used then in Scotland,,,,,,only one is a Diana Ina Laird Green in Caithness,

also a drummer was also refered to as a Major or bagpipes Pipe Major.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 16 Apr 2013 20:12

Thanks Kay????.

We just wonder what made her change her original name. Maybe it was something she just didn't like.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 16 Apr 2013 20:48

If she came from Stornoway and was born in 1905 there were 239 female births registered,

Amanda,

Amanda, Report 16 Apr 2013 21:10

I haven't yet read through Evelyn's search but I did want to add to this one because I have a female LESLIE G on a Marriage Cert in 1912

Could the birth possibly be registered as Leslie and presumed male?

Kind regards
Amanda

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 16 Apr 2013 22:10

Thank you both.

Please can all further thoughts and ideas be posted on Evelyn's thread. It will keep everything together.

Thanks. :-D