General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irish Liars.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dermot

Dermot Report 17 Apr 2013 13:09

(Margaret Thatcher warned Lord Mandelson not to trust the Irish as they are "all liars", the former Labour Northern Ireland secretary has claimed.

Mandelson told BBC Radio 4 on Wednesday morning that he had met the former Tory prime minister only once, and when he did she told him: "You cannot trust the Irish. They are all liars. Just do not forget it.")

Not a very friendly comment - was it? I'm surprised if it is true but perhaps this report itself might be a lie.

Merlin

Merlin Report 17 Apr 2013 13:30

Would,nt trust anything Old Snake Eyes said, Just think back on how he got finance for his property.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 17 Apr 2013 13:31

Peter Mandelson is well known for having a recollection ( or not ) according to the way the wind blows. A man for all seasons.

The Iron Duke of Wellington was an Irish man.
The first women president of Eire was Mary Robinson.
W B Yeats was an Irish man.
My GGM trained as a nurse in the Rotunda hospital in Dublin. She died from pneumonia contracted when travelling in the snow to deliver a baby one winter's night.

I doubt any of these people were inveterate liars. Definitely Irish though.

"By a lonely prison wall I heard a young girl calling... ."

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 17 Apr 2013 13:33

"....Michael they have taken you away.........." Good song Rollo :-)

then again Mrs T definitely said this ( and I didn't know it till last night when I was reading so checked it was true today) re single mothers

"It is far better to put these children in the hands of a very good religious organisation, and the mother as well, so that they will be brought up with family values"

(edit should perhaps add that she was no longer in office when she said it )

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 17 Apr 2013 13:39

My two brothers were born in the Rotunda, Rollo, and only one of them turned out to be a liar :-D

vera2010

vera2010 Report 17 Apr 2013 16:56

My mother always said never trust the Irish. Not sure why she had an Irish born grandmother. I took her advice and went on to marry an Irishman. I expect Mrs T was talking about the Politicians.

Vera.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 17 Apr 2013 19:20

What I will never forgive was when buddy Bliar appointed Mandy to replace Mo Mowlam who had worked her heart and soul off and was by then suffering from terminal cancer.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 17 Apr 2013 19:25

how anyone could say such a thing is unforgiveable - we live with Taffy was a Welshman, Taff was a thief - but do I care - nope!!!!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 17 Apr 2013 20:34

Mo Mowlem was a complete disaster in Northern Ireland.

She started off ok but soon utterly alienated the Unionists. It takes two to tango. In the end Blair had to be his own foot soldier though the Unionists would at least talk to Mandy. .

Maybe because of the Iraq war Blair has never been given his due credit for ending a savage sectarian war which was also bleeding the UK budget white.

The two sides still hate each other and there are high fences and walls all over the place. Some things cannot be changed or only very slowly. These days not every Orangeman has a bowler hat and is word perfect with the Sash nor does every Fenian (there is another word which is banned) want an Armalite for Christmas.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 17 Apr 2013 21:23

will it ever end?