General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Obstructive Sleep Apnoea Syndrome & DVLA

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jan.

Jan. Report 20 Apr 2013 16:52

My husband has just been told he has mild Obstructive Sleep Apnoea Syndrome. The Dr told him that by law, he has to contact the DVLA about it and to stop driving immediately, which he has done.
He has to go sometime next week to get a C.P.A.P. mask machine, which he has to wear at night, and it will help with his breathing and to get good nights sleep. The Dr told him that it would probably be about 2 weeks of wearing the mask for him to start feeling better and not tired during the day, and then he could start driving again. (though he will have to continue using the mask)

I'm wondering if anyone on this site has or had sleep apnoea and had to use the mask at night time? How long was it before you started to feel the benefit of it?
Also if you had to stop driving because of it. When you were able to start driving again, how long was it before the DVLA said you could drive again?
Is it just a case you ring up the DVLA and say the Dr says you can start driving again?

I'm worrying about it, as we are supposed to be going away at the end of May and driving a cousin to different places.

We'll get to know more next week when my husband goes back to the hospital for the mask. I was just hoping that some people on here will be able to tell me their experiences of it.

Kense

Kense Report 20 Apr 2013 21:59

I'm sorry Jan but if my OH's experience is typical the licence will have to be sent back to the DVLA and after he has used the mask for a month or so, and the doctor is satified, then he will get a form to send to the DVLA. They then have to write to the doctor to confirm it before returning the licence.

I must say that the machine is a lot quieter than I feared and my wife got used to it fairly quickly and noticed the benefit within a week or so, but she had the machine in January and is still waiting for her licence.

Jan.

Jan. Report 20 Apr 2013 22:31

Thanks for your reply KenSE. It's as I had suspected that it might take some time to get it sorted out with the DVLA. We'll be asking the Dr for more info about it next week when he goes back to collect the mask.
Looks like we will have to cancel our holiday. I suppose these things can't be helped!