General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wish I hadn't given it away!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 21 Apr 2013 12:56

On flog it just seen a Chad valley dolls clothes washing machine sold for £45, I gave mine to a friends Daughter 28 years ago.
When Mum bought it for me c 1958 she didn't have any sort of washing machine herself.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 21 Apr 2013 13:24

ask if you can have it back :-D :-D :-D

jax

jax Report 21 Apr 2013 13:27

Was it a twin tub with a handle on the side to turn the drums....I remember having one but it would be the mid 60s

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 21 Apr 2013 13:33

When I watch these programmes I shudder when I recall the things my parents threw out from my grandparent's house in the mid 1950's. My grandparents used to have this large black/green marble clock with gilded pillars that sat on the mantlepiece. My dad broke the clock up and just kept the clock workings which he mounted in a wooden box at his place of work.

In the mid 1970's I passed a clock dealer's shop in Twickenham and sitting in the window was an identical clock - price £750 :-(

Many other people in the 1950's must have thrown out lots of things that they considered to be junk, nowadays these items would have been worth a few bob ;-)

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 21 Apr 2013 14:11

Max, it was exactly that, it was quite good for its day. I know my Mum had a biscuit tin which she kept buttons in, the picture on the lid fascinated me as a child, Dad threw it out in a clear out a long time ago and I had seen it sold on the Antiques road show for £400.
Just goes to show what we call j unk is someone else's treasure :-(

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 21 Apr 2013 14:12

I meant jax not max.

Claddagh

Claddagh Report 21 Apr 2013 15:01

I still regret giving a (former) friend my whole collection of antique hat pins. Also regret giving a vase (one of a pair) givnen to my g.mother by a neighbour, who was given them by wealthy cousins in America. They have real gold patterns, must be at least 100 years old. I don't like to ask the person I gave it to, to give it back. Have promised my youngest she can have it as soon as she moves into their new home.....Jeeezz, what a mug i was back then..

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 21 Apr 2013 15:30

Not a mug at all you did it will the best intentions at the time, as indeed I did, however I'm looking what I have a different light now, so some good has come of it. :-)

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 21 Apr 2013 16:50

We had an art-deco mirror hanging over the fireplace in the kitchen. Then Mum dumped it with the bin men. I saw one recently and it was worth mega-bucks.

Also gave a Fisher Price Activity Bear to daughter {it was hers originally when she was tiny} when her daughter was born, no doubt that has gawn on E-bay!!!!

:-0

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 21 Apr 2013 16:58

I have a mirror hanging up in our hallway which was either my MILs or her MILs it has 29/6 written on the back. :-D

Barbinsglos

Barbinsglos Report 21 Apr 2013 18:09

I also have a mirror in our hallway given to us by my MIL. She was given it as a wedding present in 1929.
No price on the back though :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 22 Apr 2013 04:12

Most of the things that were worth anything in our house were sold by my Dad at the Cornhall to supplement the family income or his pension in later years. I did manage to stop him selling a bureau to a door step chap for £100, luckily the bloke said he would be back for it but Dad mentioned it to me and I got a valuer round from a posh furniture place, Dad got £400 which he shared with me and my brothers and kept some for himself. I remember we had several lovely Willow pattern meat platters which he sold off and several other nice items. Only the rubbish stuff was left at the end and a dealer gave us peanuts. My brothers were in such a hurry to give the house back to the council to save paying £40 odd rent that they ended up burning some things in the back garden and chucking other things in a skip. So sad.

I think that's why I hang on to everything, must be something valuable amongst it all lol

Lizx

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Apr 2013 10:09

When does someone stop hanging on to things? When they've run out of room!

Like a number of people on here, I've sold many items inherited from the parents, and given away toys. Unless there is a place to display them or someone to play with them, I feel that its better to pass them on to someone who will appreciate the items.

On the NA currency converter site, ZZzzz's £45 (in 2005) equates to £3-11-8 in 1955, the day wage for a craftsman in the building trade. The item sold at auction has probably held its value, but not really made a profit. In the meantime, her friend's daughter has had hours of enjoyment. :-)