General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bring it back, from the past...

Page 1 + 1 of 2

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet

Janet Report 22 Apr 2013 11:31

A stranger holding a door open as you approached and acknowledging their manners by saying 'thank-you' -jl

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 22 Apr 2013 11:55

A gentle reminder that you should always allow another person to come out of a doorway, before entering yourself.
Especially public transport.

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 22 Apr 2013 12:08

General - Good manners
Personal - My dads floor to ceiling book collect - many 1st editions with the folded tissue paper inside which my mother after he died, put on a bonfire in the garden with his piano.

:-| :-| :-| :-|

GHeather

GHeather Report 22 Apr 2013 14:28

NanaSue,
What a terrible waste of books, 1st editions too! :-(

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 22 Apr 2013 15:30

It still makes me shudder when I think of it.
I can remember some of the titles
Wind in the Willows & Arthur Ransome's Swallows & Amazon.
S & A had beautful hand painted drawings as well.

Lady Chatterley's Lover by D. H. Lawrence was on the top shelf. I remember getting the ladder and climbing up to get it - sneaked it upstairs so I could read it under the covers with my torch.

Dermot

Dermot Report 22 Apr 2013 15:36

Honest-to-goodness politicians.

Oops - hang on a second. I'm sure I heard of dodgy political shenanigans in the old days. Mind you, fault is not an elusive thing to find.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 22 Apr 2013 15:50

my thread...

and common courtesy and honesty

LilyL

LilyL Report 22 Apr 2013 15:57

Proper butcher's skewers to secure a joint of meat. Not the wooden or straight ones that are all you can buy these days. Oh and truthfulness and thankyou LETTERS!

GHeather

GHeather Report 22 Apr 2013 16:04

Great lot of books NanaSue. What a shame about what happened to them! :-( :-0

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~ Report 22 Apr 2013 20:02

Respect, manners and capital punishment.....

Jules x