General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

All blue eyed people are genetically related.

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 22 Apr 2013 16:16

All blue eyed people are genetically related to a person who lived in the Black Sea area about 6, - 10,000 years ago... Mrs Thatcher had blue eyes, so those with blue eyes who turned their back to her, are genetically related, strange but true! Anyone got any views on this ?

GHeather

GHeather Report 22 Apr 2013 16:19

Does our Queen have blue eyes ?

GHeather

GHeather Report 22 Apr 2013 16:20

I have blue eyes.

jax

jax Report 22 Apr 2013 16:25

Sorry but my two daughters have vivid blue eyes and I have dark brown.....so does that mean we are not related?

I better get a DNA test done :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 22 Apr 2013 16:27

Does this mean that ALL brown eyed people are genetically related ? What about grey/green eyed people ? An interesting thought.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 22 Apr 2013 16:27

The queen has blue eyes. I too have blue eyes.

How do I feel about being related to Mrs T, well you choose your friends, you have no choice over relatives ;-)

GHeather

GHeather Report 22 Apr 2013 16:30

So, PatinCyprus, we are genetically related to the Queen, sounds good to me! lol :-) ;-)

GHeather

GHeather Report 22 Apr 2013 16:34

And Mrs T.

GHeather

GHeather Report 22 Apr 2013 16:39

I wonder how many people in the U.K have blue eyes ?

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 22 Apr 2013 16:41

Well I have blue eyes - just read the report on the web.

Seems blonde hair and blue eyes was more sexy even back then.

Wow....................

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 22 Apr 2013 16:45

Wonder who my son and mother are related to as their eyes are/were multi coloured. Both of them look hazel until you are close, then you see brown blue and green in there. The coloured area looks like a speckled band. :-)

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 22 Apr 2013 16:50

My daughter and sister are blue eyed, as was my father. Most of my cousins are blue eyed and only 2 are blondes, the rest have black (mother's side) or dark brown hair (father's side)

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 22 Apr 2013 16:55

Well, since we're all supposed to be descended from one woman, 'mitochondrial Eve', we're ALL related to a greater or lesser degree anyway...

Admittedly that means going back a wee bit further, possibly some 190,000–200,000 years or so.

http://www.livescience.com/10015-age-confirmed-eve-mother-humans.html

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 22 Apr 2013 17:00

I have blue eyes, my parents both had blue eyes - two blue eyed people can only have a blue eyed child but two brown eyed people can have a blue eyed child

I have a blue eyed friend who has a blue eyed husband - all three of her children have brown eyes - I know for a fact they are not his, apart from the colour of their eyes that is ;-)

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 22 Apr 2013 17:07

My mother was told by her biology teacher that two blue eyed parents couldn't have a brown eyed child (her parents had blue eyes, my mum had brown), as the genes for blue eyes are recessive to brown.

However if you google, it seems two blue eyed parents CAN have a brown eyed child without the milkman being involved.

eg

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/aprilholladay/2004-10-14-wonderquest_x.htm

GHeather

GHeather Report 22 Apr 2013 17:08

Good point Kucinta! :-)

ChristinaS

ChristinaS Report 22 Apr 2013 17:10

I think there's a rule that someone with brown eyes, who is the child of 2 brown-eyed parents, can only have a brown-eyed child. Regardless of their partner's eye colour.

GHeather

GHeather Report 22 Apr 2013 17:14

I think that eye colour also is related to skin colour, helps with protection from the Sun. Everyone with Brown eyes must have a link with a hotter more sunny country.

GHeather

GHeather Report 22 Apr 2013 17:16

Grey eyed people are from Viking stock, but some must have had blue eyes too.

GHeather

GHeather Report 22 Apr 2013 17:18

What about Green eyes ? They are so lovely to look at! :-) ;-) <3