General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

All blue eyed people are genetically related.

Page 1 + 1 of 3

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 22 Apr 2013 17:21

If two green eyed people had children, could they have blue eyes ?

GHeather

GHeather Report 22 Apr 2013 17:22

Lots of interesting things about eye colour, will have to find out more...

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 22 Apr 2013 17:29

All blue eyed people are genetically related to a person who lived in the Black Sea area about 6, - 10,000 years ago.

Hmmm ... One wonders how they worked that one out . :-S

GHeather

GHeather Report 22 Apr 2013 17:34

People do work things out BudgieRustler. :-) For example: someone worked out the Earth goes round the Sun, not the other way round... lol

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 22 Apr 2013 17:36

And fact and fiction go hand in hand. GHeather :-D

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 22 Apr 2013 17:44

So did Adolf Hitler :-0

George

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 22 Apr 2013 17:57

Got me thinking now - from my dads side there is a spit in the blue/brown eyes and hair colour.
My dad had blue his bro brown
I have blue eyes and blonde hair.
My sons are mixed race but have blonde hairs on their arms.
My younger son & his misses are mixed with brown eyes.

My 8 year old grandson is lightish brown and has blue eyes with straightish hair
His 6 year old sister is very dark with brown eyes and frizzy hair.
Their hair is completely different in texture.
Their other grandmother and great gran are from Irish stock and have blonde hair and blue eyes.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Apr 2013 18:00

Well, my dad's mum, my dad and one brother all had black hair and stunning blue/grey eyes
My mum had brown eyes and hair, her mum had blue eyes and her dad had brown eyes. Oh and mum and her dad were left handed
Of their 4 children, (2 x m and 2 x f) 3 had blue eyes, 1 had brown. 2 (1 m, 1 f) had black hair, 1 (m) was blonde, and the other f had brown hair.
All 4 children were right handed, and those who married, married right handed people.
Blue eyed male married brown eyed female - 2 boys - both brown eyes, both left handed
Blue eyed female married blue eyed male - 1 boy 1 girl both blue eyes
Both right handed
Brown eyed female married blue eyed male - 2 girls, 1 blue eyed, 1 brown eyed.
Blue eyed girl left handed, brown eyed girl right handed.

So, my parents ended up with 6 grandchildren. 3 boys, 3 girls, 3 brown eyed, 3 blue eyed, 3 left handed, 3 right handed.
This all goes against the 'dominance' theory, both with eye colour and left/right handedness

Paula+

Paula+ Report 22 Apr 2013 18:02

My Mother had very blue eyes and so do I. My Father had brown eyes and so does my Sister. <3

GHeather

GHeather Report 22 Apr 2013 18:05

Lots of very interesting replies, I enjoyed reading them ALL, keep them coming... :-D ;-) <3

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 22 Apr 2013 18:07

can two blue eyed people have a brown eyed child -

Not normally - brown eyes are dominant over blue eyes, so lets say that the parents each have brown eyes, but also carry the recessive gene for blue eyes.

They then have a child who inherits the recessive blue gene from both parents.

That means that two brown eyed parents can have a blue eyed child.

HOWEVER it isn't the same for two blue eyed people. They have blue eyes, which are recessive, therefore both parents must carry both genes for blue eyes, therefore they don't have a gene for brown eyes to pass to their children.

That is the answer, however, that does not take into consideration spontaneous mutations of eye colour, nor does it take into consideration other eye colours such as hazel or green.

So the answer is "No", but it could also be "Rarely"

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 22 Apr 2013 18:23

Tis true Maggie, theorizing leads to a good many not so factual facts, he, he. :-)

George

George Report 22 Apr 2013 18:27

I believe David Bowie had one blue eye and one brown eye, where does that leave him :-D :-D :-D :-D

George :-) :-)

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 22 Apr 2013 18:37

I think David Bowie has one eye with an enlarged pupil, not sure why and can't be bothered to Google :-)

Joeva

Joeva Report 22 Apr 2013 18:44

KittytheCook

You are right about David Bowie, his enlarged pupil was from an injury following a fight in his youth.

My daughter was a big fan of his. :-)

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 22 Apr 2013 18:48

I have grey eyes, but they turn green when I am not well .

Gins

Gins Report 22 Apr 2013 18:56

Maybe you'd like to read about Jane Elliott' theory on eye colour?

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~ Report 22 Apr 2013 19:56

My paternal grandfather had blue, eyes, my dad has blue eyes, I have blue eyes and so does my daughter!! :-S

Jules x

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 23 Apr 2013 06:22

My son's father and I have brown eyes, altho one of his uncles on his father's side has blue eyes. My mother had blue eyes but my Dad, myself and my brothers had brown eyes. My son has blue eyes which are now more a grey blue as he gets older. His father is Maltese but son has inherited my pale skin altho he tans fairly easily as do I.

It's all so interesting.

Jules, what colour eyes does Harmony have?

Lizx

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 23 Apr 2013 06:51

I posted on this thread earlier............

so where has my post gone?