General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Has anyone got a......

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 24 Apr 2013 17:40

Versus 8GB Wi Fi Touchtab 7" Dual core Tablet.? and what do you think of it, is it useful to have, or in deed are any touchtabs useful to have. What is the advantage of having one?

jude

Robert

Robert Report 24 Apr 2013 18:11

I use a table when im on the move. with the right apps there great for going around for doing research for your family tree. my has a built in camera. so I can take photos of the places ive been. I have a word processing package on mine so I can take notes for my research and record any information I find. there easer to carry than a laptop or netbook , and if you find a wifi hot spot you can update your tree on the move... its one of those tools if you don't have one you don't miss not having one, but once you got one you wouldn't be with out it.

ive also have the kindle app so there great for holiday so you can read on the beach, or in the garden on a summers evening with a good bottle of plonk

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 24 Apr 2013 19:19

Thanks Robert......must say it sounds useful:).....what one do you have?

jude

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 24 Apr 2013 19:27

I use my iPad all the time,had it 18 months now and it has been a godsend.Used it in Oz to keep in touch with friends.Carry it everywhere in my bag,take photos have access to google,music,newspaper on line,etc etc.
Hardly go on comp as this is so much quicker.
Face time is wonderful too,carry it around talking to friends and family abroad.

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 24 Apr 2013 22:39

Hello Brenda:)

l could'nt get back on here, prob with connection:((

What one do you have.
The one l am looking at if approx £80.00 and its called a Versus Touchtab!!
is that the same sort of thing??

jude

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 25 Apr 2013 10:36

nudge:)

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 25 Apr 2013 12:58

I have an iPad 2 which I love and like Robert and Brenda I wouldn't want to be without it. A friend bought a Cube and it was a brilliant for the money, around £150 I think. When we sat next to each other sending emails and going on the net the Cube did not pick up the signal from my router unless he moved a lot nearer to it.

I only use my PC now if I want to do something where I need to be at the desk or I want my downloaded music playing in the background.

Robert

Robert Report 25 Apr 2013 13:11

I have a archos 80 colbalt . , which has an 8inch screen. the battery last up to 8 hours. the memory I up graded to 32Gb with a micro SD card

I love It, I leave the wife to do the shopping , I sit in costa coffee inside Tesco and connect to the free wifi. shopping is now perfect

its worth shopping a round for a tablet as there are some great deals out there

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 25 Apr 2013 17:24

Thanks Robert and TS.....:)

TS...was your gt/grandfather brought or brought up by the Mitchells...??..lol (sorry).

The one l've been looking at is an android!!! does that make a difference??

jude :-)

Robert

Robert Report 25 Apr 2013 17:42

android is use on all tables except the Ipad which uses there own operating system. there are 1000's of free apps for andriod

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 25 Apr 2013 17:59

I bought my iPad 2 in oct 2011 and paid around £480, the 2 has come down considerably.My friend has a 3 but not rated as good as the 2.
You can get the 2 a lot cheaper now and I like the bigger screen,but you can get Android ones and smaller screens now,even my 3 great grandchildren have kindle fires.
Don't know enough to rate the others ,but like Tenerife sun and Robert,I hardly go on computer now except to print out and clear junk.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 25 Apr 2013 18:12

I bought my iPad last June and although I can't remember exactly how much it was I think it was about £350 from John Lewis.

My friend has an iPad mimi which is about the size of a Kindle I haven't seen it yet but I will do at the weekend. I prefer the bigger screen (I do have a Kindle to compere the screen size with) as I do my family tree on it and you can see more on it. If at anytime the text is too small for you it is easy to make larger by just pulling the screen apart with two fingers.

The iPad is so quick to respond, and I imagine other makes are too.

Jude I'll pm you re G G Grand dad. x

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 25 Apr 2013 19:30

Thank you TS, Robert and Brenda:))

jude:)

TS...thank you:) x

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 9 May 2013 17:53

Well my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" arrived just over a week ago now and guess what............?????

Vic paid for it....yehhhh:)....l actually transferred the money for it to his account and then very quickly transferred it back.....(l think l have written this somewhere else on here...Oooo err)

Its great, although l think l could have managed without it, but maybe l'm not used to it yet. l can't use the internet in the car , how do l do that?? although l can use my Kindle.

jude

:-)

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 9 May 2013 19:21

Is your Kindle 3G which works on mobile phone waves (I think). Mine is and I can use it anywhere.

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 9 May 2013 20:27

Hello Wendy...l can get the kindle ok, its the internet:((

jude

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 9 May 2013 22:15

Ahhh, Sorry Jude I didn't read your post properly

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 May 2013 22:27

Jude the kindle is different to a tablet. The kindle is 3G which works like a mobile phone. If your tablet is not 3G you need WiFi to connect to the Internet.