General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Prisoner of WW11

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marie

Marie Report 25 Apr 2013 17:28

Can anyone help me to understand the information on the POW site .?
I have found who I am looking for, however, I do not understand what the reference No.s are for.
What are TNA Series & TNA Piece No.s. Where do I check this info?

I know when & where my dad was captured and how he escaped but I am trying to find out what camp's he was in.

Also can anyone advise me how I can view his army records.

I have so much old paperwork Re: WW11 but nothing helps me with the above.

Hope someone can help me.
Thank you
Maria :-)

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 25 Apr 2013 17:30

Marie

TNA refers to The National Archives.

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 25 Apr 2013 17:38

Marie the WW11 records for UK are not online. You can send away for them. Cost me and my cuz £30.

Well worth the money - a thick wad of docs arrived

I did enquire about them at the 2013 London Family research exhibition - was told there are no plans to put them online because of the cost. Load of rubbish as far as I am concerned.

Probably somebody will give you the link - I'll have to look it up and I'm not so fast as some

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 25 Apr 2013 17:39

Contact Army Personnel Centre
Historical Disclosures
Mail point 555
Kentigern House
65 Brown St
Glasgow
G2 8EX

You will need to fill in a couple of forms to prove you are a relation, they can be downloaded but the army website can be very confusing.

I suggest you give them a ring,
regards,
Mayfield

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 25 Apr 2013 17:45

Mayfield thanks for that - just knew somebody would jump in and help out with the info.
I've now found the web link http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/army.html

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 25 Apr 2013 17:45

Ref; The National Archives, you might find some help on this page and links

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/prisoners-war-1939-1953.htm

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 25 Apr 2013 17:53

There are WW2 POW records both on Ancestry & FMP, the Ancestry one i s a free index.

Have a look if you dont subscribe and see a possible match, im sure if you give details it can be looked at.

This is what they say the records hold

This database contains a listing of World War II British Army, Navy and Air Force prisoners of war (POW). Information provided about them includes:
•Name

•Rank

•Branch of the armed forces

•Regiment

•POW number

•Camp type

•Camp number

•Camp location

•Record office

•Record Office number

George

Edit also on GR

Marie

Marie Report 25 Apr 2013 19:50

Can't thank you all enough! So much info in such a short time.
Bless you all.
Maria:-)

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 25 Apr 2013 21:33

He might have filled in a POW questionnaire which would be at the National Archives, which would give some detail about his capture and camps as well as some personal information. If you can let me have some detail, I'll have a look for you.

Marie

Marie Report 29 Apr 2013 14:50

1st my thanks to Mayfield. I have just got off the phone after speaking to Historical Disclosures.

I have tried to figure out the TNA site, I must be thick, I just cannot understand what to do! However, thanks to Nameslessone for the info.

To George of Westbury. If you do have access to that info I would be so grateful
Details:
James Ruffles LC 5257391 1st Battalion Royal Worcestershire's.
captured Tobruk June 1942. Escaped and Arrived Switzerland September 1943.
Any infor welcome.
Once again, to all who have joined in, a big thank you.

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 29 Apr 2013 15:26

Marie

Ive looked at the POW records on both FMP & Ancestry, sorry but nothing shows up for him.

Your best bet is to obtain his service records, which Mayfield gave you the link, i know you have said you have spoken to them but dont know what they said to you.

Next, i suggest yiou take up "was plain ann now annielaurie" offer by sending her a PM with the details, unless she sees yor reply and looks for you.

George

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 29 Apr 2013 17:09

Marie

Did you see my offer regarding a possible POW questionnaire? Do you want me to look? - you haven't mentioned it

Marie

Marie Report 29 Apr 2013 19:12

Oh yes please Annielaurie I would be very grateful. What info do you need?

Historical Disclosures are sending me an application form so that I can get his service record.
Thanks all.
Marie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 29 Apr 2013 19:37

The info you've given on the thread - name, number and regiment- should be fine.

JMW

JMW Report 29 Apr 2013 20:10

I have just received an uncle's service records from Historic disclosures. They say you might have to wait up to a year as they are dealing with large numbers of living welfare cases. However I only had to wait 6 1/2 months. Cost is £30. Non refundable if they can't find a record. My uncle was a POW in WWll. The service record only shows him as missing, then as featuring on the German POW lists. There is no mention of where he was held, although I happen to have a postcard he sent from the camp (Stalag XXA). I don't think the German army told the allies where any particular POW was held.

Marie

Marie Report 30 Apr 2013 09:59

Thanks for answers to Annielaurie & JMW.
It seems strange that when I have a lot of info but I just can't fill in the gaps.
Non of the official paperwork which was sent to my Mom ever said what camp/s in was in and like so many more folk it is now to late to ask her!
But maybe with the help of nice people the facts will come to light.
Thanks again.

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 2 May 2013 16:05

Have sent a pm to Marie. I have the copies from the National Archives of his POW report which includes list of camps and dates.

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 2 May 2013 16:17

So good to read that Annielaurie and once again GR members have come up trumps :-D ...do hope Marie comes back on as sure she will be thrilled with your find xx :-D

Marie

Marie Report 2 May 2013 17:04

Hi all
At the present I am still reeling in amazement that strangers can be so nice. What a lovely community. I will keep you informed of my findings.
Marie Ruffles Sansoni

Marie

Marie Report 4 May 2013 12:12

I think Annielaurie deserves a "GOLDEN STAR" Info received this morning. How does she do it? All I could have asked for.