General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Houses/homes through the ages...

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 25 Apr 2013 20:53

People have lived in houses of one kind or another for many thousands of years... what house/home would you have like to live in for a while... if you could go back in time... perhaps an Egyptian home, a town house in Imperial Rome or a Viking home ? I think it would be very interesting, to see how the food was cooked, how you would sleep etc...

GHeather

GHeather Report 25 Apr 2013 20:54

I bet living in a Castle would be interesting for a while... until the cold got to you! lol

GHeather

GHeather Report 25 Apr 2013 20:58

I think liking our creature comforts, going back to live in one of the above homes would be a shock! It would still be better that living in a cave though! lol :-D ;-)

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 25 Apr 2013 20:59

Definitely a Roman Villa. I rather fancy all those fancy mosaics but I would skip the roast dormice :-P

GHeather

GHeather Report 25 Apr 2013 20:59

Some Roman houses had glass for windows, but it wasn't clear like the ones we use today.

Barbinsglos

Barbinsglos Report 25 Apr 2013 21:00

LaGooner, they had communal baths and toilets :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 25 Apr 2013 21:01

Roast dormice, yeah give that one a miss! lol :-( ;-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 Apr 2013 21:02

I was happy to move into my current house. 'Properly' built, snug 1920's council house, with central heating and double glazing
Lived in many a building in my life. Flat, converted double decker bus, 4 different types/sizes of caravan, croft house, converted windmill, bedsit, tent - for 6 months, not just a holday!
Ancient Cornish cottage, Arabian villa, Portuguese villa, mansion house, terraced house and huge detached house.
The detached house was the only other one with central heating - but it wasn't a patch on the efficiency of central heating in a small house :-D

I love being warm :-D :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 25 Apr 2013 21:02

Roman glass was almost opaque I believe. Such an advanced race they have my true admiration, their lives absolutely fascinate me :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 25 Apr 2013 21:02

Better than horse meat though lol A lovely dormice burger, second thoughts... lol :-(

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 25 Apr 2013 21:04

Think ill stick with my bedouin tent and the extension/harem where my 50 wives stay ;-)

alternatively a roman fort could be an eye opener

Roy :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 25 Apr 2013 21:04

I'd skip the figs too ;-)

GHeather

GHeather Report 25 Apr 2013 21:05

We know that the ancient Romans invented concrete, a massive jump forward... :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 25 Apr 2013 21:09

The Great fire of London would never have happen if they used Roman Concrete, all those houses made of wood! Not a good move!

GHeather

GHeather Report 25 Apr 2013 21:10

Samuel Pepy's watched it happen, amazing! :-)

GHeather

GHeather Report 25 Apr 2013 21:13

During ancient Rome, all the big boys lived in the nice big villa type homes, while the rest lived in types of flats! Nothing changes much does it! lol

GHeather

GHeather Report 25 Apr 2013 21:16

Some of the food they used to eat in Roman times, weird! I hope the Vino (wine) was ok though, if the food was rubbish, always wash it down with a lovely Vino, fingers crossed! The big boys used to have a sick room where they would bring up the food, and carry on eating, weird or what!

GHeather

GHeather Report 25 Apr 2013 21:19

I don't think they had Fish & Chips, etc... no Chinese, no Indian, quick push the forward button on that time machine and get us back home fast! :-D They had salt, I think ?

GHeather

GHeather Report 25 Apr 2013 21:20

No internet, no TV, nothing much... see ya later... lol :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 25 Apr 2013 21:22

Perhaps they could do a BBrother programme living in one of these type of houses... lol