General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

NATIONAL LIBRARY OF WALES, ABERYSTWYTH

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 26 Apr 2013 18:41

On fire - oh dear - so many records there :-(

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 26 Apr 2013 18:57

On Radio Wales news as I was driving home, it was under control and mainly in office area. Everyone was safe.

Roof was damaged last year and they were still repairing it. So when the staff get access (later tonight, I believe) they will be able to assess damage. Probably be closed next week.

It is a wonderful resource and my first thought was - Dublin :-0 But I hope it won't be too disastrous.

Rambling

Rambling Report 26 Apr 2013 19:01

Why was your first thought "Dublin" John? :-S

I have spent some time researching at the library, hopefully nothing irreplaceable has been damaged.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 26 Apr 2013 19:06

Rose. When they said "fire at NLW" and it is serious (just after lunch) my thoughts immediately turned to all those records that were lost 100 years ago. How frustrating that has been when all we wanted were simple Irish records but they had been destroyed.

I am hoping this will only be minor damage - but I am still worried that some very key documents could be lost. :-| :-(

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 26 Apr 2013 19:27

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-22312017

Rambling

Rambling Report 26 Apr 2013 19:33

I assumed so John, it is certainly a shame that the earlier census were destroyed by fire and later census by order of the government.

There are fragments here and there, and many church records online now for certain areas, which have been invaluable to me, and the 1901 and 1911 are very good and free :-)