General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sir Winston Churchill to feature on new banknote

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 26 Apr 2013 22:39

Interesting to say the least - wonder who decided that.
2016 is still some way off yet.
Suspect it will be the turn Margaret Thatcher next

Edited: another silly fopaux the date corrected.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 26 Apr 2013 22:46

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22306707

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Apr 2013 00:32

and just why is it "interesting to say the least" ??????

Canada has had Prime Ministers on its bank notes for many years ......... Canadian Prime Ministers, that is .

It's a way of honouring their memory.

AND, you may not remember, but Winston Churchill is one of the, if not the, best respected PM in British history................ HE even got a State Funeral, did he not?

and the portrait that has been chosen is the best known photo that was ever taken of him.

It's a fantastic picture ................ and a wonderful story as to how it came to be taken by the great portrait photographer, Yousuf Karsh, in 1941, in Ottawa.

I'm old enough to remember Churchill being in power, and what he meant to the British public, and I think it is great that Britain is finally honouring him.

as to who decided ................. my understanding is that it is the Governor of the Bank of England who always makes the decision.

I find this posting somewhat derogatory to a man I greatly respected, and still do

.......................... and, no, that is not to say that I was, or even would be now, a Conservative voter, in your country or mine.

Though I would have voted for Churchill, no matter what party he ran for :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Apr 2013 00:49

It's ironic that Churchill's declaration "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat" will be printed on the note.

Is the BoE trying to tell us something we already know?

For a large percentage of the population, Churchill as Prime Minster is now a historical figure rather than a politician. According to the list on the BBC link, he is the first one to be featured on a fiver.

It's about time we had some new £5 notes in circulation. The few we've handled are very tatty and crumpled.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Apr 2013 01:06

that's one of his most famous sayings!

but you are also getting a new Governor of the Bank of England in a few weeks time ............... and you may well be facing more economic pull backs.

Your gain, our pain ...........

......... the new Governor is the reason Canada has had relatively few effects from the economic crunches since 2008.

As Governor of the Bank of Canada, he prevented banks, credit unions, etc, from offering those horrendous mortgage deals that happened in other countries, and cause such horrid problems.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 27 Apr 2013 01:18

um didn't Churchill feature on British tender some years back - Churchill crowns which were actually legal tender?
Nothing new whatsoever

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Apr 2013 01:25

that's right, Errol!

must have been around the mid-1960s because I can remember them, and I left the UK in 1967.

It was celebrating something in his life ........................

........ goes off to Google!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Apr 2013 01:32

a 1 crown (old amount 5/-) coin issued in 1965 to commemorate Churchill's death ........................

it now seems to be worth around £3 to £4

He died 24 January 1965, at age 90

He only stepped down as an MP at the 1964 General Election

jax

jax Report 27 Apr 2013 01:32

Must have been his death

Just looked in my money collection and my Churchill Crown is dated 1965

Edit- Snap

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Apr 2013 01:34

snap, jax!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Apr 2013 01:41

Lordy, how this brings back memories .....................

I had graduated from uni, but didn't yet have a job when the 1964 General Election was held ........... so I volunteered as a campaigner in my home town!

That was a strange experience, but have lots of memories still!

I think poor old Churchill had suffered "mini" strokes during his later years, and he was pretty ineffective during his last term as an MP from 1959 to stepping down in 1964.

The majority of the people who had lived through WW2 would not have anything said against him though ..................... that's partly why the Tories were re-elected in 1951, and he served as PM from 1951 to 1955.

Clement Attlee and the Labour Party had defeated the Tories in 1945 ............. and that meant 6 years of austerity, which depressed everyone. I think there was a great deal of joy when Churchill led the Tories to success in 1951.

Not that I was old enough to vote!!

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 27 Apr 2013 02:00

SylviaInCanada if you had been following what has been going on recently in England you would know what I mean.

He died 24 January 1965, at age 90 - Gosh I can remember lining the street to watch his funeral.

Just think I've been involve with politics most of my adult life - here and overseas. We are campaigning again for 2013

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Apr 2013 02:15

............ and we here are campaigning right now for a Provincial election early next month , and then we have a Federal election in 2 years time

so what?

Only, I know that most people in the UK are not at all interested in those politics................ so don't ask me if I know what is happening in the UK, or suggest that I don't know or don't follow!

are you suggesting that there is something political in the choice of his portrait appearing on a bank note in 2016????????

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 27 Apr 2013 02:17

Short answer definitely Yes

Cheshiremaid

Cheshiremaid Report 27 Apr 2013 02:52

I can only add that my mum lived through WW2...she worked in a munitions factory...would have preferred to work with the land girls however she had just married my dad and it wasn't allowed.

I am so thankful that mum is still with us....92 years old and as spritely as ever and although she doesn't and has never shared the same politics she has however the greatest admiration for Winston Churchill.

We have several crown coins but these were really just commemorative although legal tender however surely it is only fitting to see Winston Churchill on our current currency amongst others...better late than never...mum says :-D

Linda

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Apr 2013 04:35

Linda ..............

how lucky you are to still have your mother. Mine died at the very young age of 58. She would have been about 20 years older than your Mum.

Bless every day that you have her.

and, yes, she belongs to the generation that almost revered Churchill, no matter their political preference.

He is known as the Greatest Statesman of the 20th century ....................... and for good reason.

It is fantastic to see the UK finally honouring him with his face on a bank note.

To think otherwise, makes ideas of "conspiracy" comes to mind!

I MIGHT have wondered what was behind it IF the bank note was going to be issued during the campaign run up to the 2014 elections, ie late this year or early next year .................... but it is not being released until 2016

............. and, in any case, I doubt very much whether the Governor of the Bank of England would cave in to political pressure!

If the present Governor has been used to caving in, or if the politicos have been used to him caving in ................. then the political animals are going to get a huge surprise in a couple of months time.

Mark Carney does NOT give in to political pressure!!

He refused to give in the Canadian government's pressure to allow those ridiculous mortgages and mortgage rates from about 2006 through to 2008, and thus our economy stayed more or less stable.

Any problems that we are now having, are due to the financial collapse of so many other countries, including the US and in Europe. We are still much better off than practically any other country. And we can thank Carney for that

It was one of the reasons he was head hunted for the UK job.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 27 Apr 2013 08:38

I was really pleased to see that on the news yesterday.

One of our Great Britons!

:-D

Kay????

Kay???? Report 27 Apr 2013 08:42

The Churchill Medal was not nor ever has been part of any UK legal tender ,,,,,,it was produce purely as a commemorative collectable medal,millions were made.....as were the Queens Silver Jubilee,,,,,they also have no spending power.

according news last night a portrait picture hasnt been choosen yet hasnt been choosen yet,and the chief of the bank of england chooses who's going to appear on bank notes,,,,,,

It will only be on the £5.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 27 Apr 2013 09:10

All crowns are legal tender. Mint refers to them as NCLT (Non Circulating Legal Tender). I spent a couple of Churchill crowns in 1965 and you certainly found them in your till. Worth 5/- then and will now be worth 25p. Were you to have kept them nice and in their box, 5/- then and £3 plus now :-)

I agree with NS - everything is getting very political prior to various elections coming up. Hope it will not sway votes. The true value of currency notes is becoming so small that we can use them for other tasks than spending without feeling we are being wasteful. :-0

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 27 Apr 2013 09:19

Very disappointed that it now means there are no prominent women (apart from Liz) on any of our notes.

Why not replace one of the men on the other notes with Churchill?