General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Super volcanoes...

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 21 Sep 2013 14:49

I have a lot of ancient family paperwork, mostly 'cos they hated it so the ledgers just piled up over the years. When the Icelandic volcano thing came up I had a look at the farm ledgers to see if it had any sort of impact.

Yes and no.
As farmers of sheep and beef cattle income went up rather than down - prices at market up, so maybe fewer cattle elsewhere as no moaning the ledger about the volcano, indeed no mention of it at all. OTOH a lot of trouble with the tenants not paying rent.

fwiw there have been quite a few of these super explosions going back to Santini (Atlantis) in bc 1600, Pompeii 100 AD and Krakatoa 1883. They all make a great topic for movies and tv documentaries but unless you have the bad luck to live nearby or run an airline nothing to worry about.

The only ones that have really damaged earth climate were the Western Ghats (Hills) nr the Deccan plateau in India and Yellowstone, both eons ago. There are some signs that Yellowstone might erupt again but within the next hundred years extremely low odds.

Homo sapiens if far more likely to screw up the world climate than volcanos.

GHeather

GHeather Report 21 Sep 2013 13:24

Still no news about that Icelandic Volcano, shh... don't want to wake it up, just yet! Shh... ;-)

GHeather

GHeather Report 11 Jul 2013 12:38

So your part Japanese then MarieC ?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 11 Jul 2013 00:05

Graham - the avatar is Marie Celeste de Villentroy. The photo was taken c1921 and is called "Young Australia".

No it is not me, I'm not quite that old!

GHeather

GHeather Report 10 Jul 2013 23:45

Ok MarieCeleste, interesting info, thanks. I like your profile photo, is that you ? :-D ;-) <3

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 10 Jul 2013 23:29

When I was on one of my trips to visit family in Japan in 2000 there was some seismic rumblings under Mount Fuji prompting concerns that it could be re-awakening (it hadn't erupted for about 300 years).

Thankfully it decided to stay asleep and we only had a few smallish earthquakes (quite the norm).

GHeather

GHeather Report 10 Jul 2013 23:02

Interesting Persephone, thanks for that info.

Persephone

Persephone Report 10 Jul 2013 22:47

Nobody thought our Ruapehu was going to erupt after 1945... it had done its little dash..but in 1953 on Christmas Eve it erupted again and the lava flowed and it knocked the railway bridge off its uprights and the night train from Wellington to Auckland was derailed ..there were 285 people on that train 26 people escaped.

http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/historic-volcanic-activity/page-5

Persie

GHeather

GHeather Report 10 Jul 2013 19:36

It's the Super Volcanoes, that are the major concern! I think the ones in Yellowstone Park won't go off for many years yet... however, the one in Iceland, could go off anytime...

Persephone

Persephone Report 9 Jul 2013 23:18

Glad you didn't decide to parachute in from your flight over it.. could have ended up in the hot seat.

It fascinates me the way it is always smoldering and then every so often has a bit of a blow, but am quite happy to drive along the coast and just look at it sitting out to sea.

I used to stay in Whakatane quite a bit when I was a youngster and we often had earthquakes during the night. Probably a lot more going on under there than we realise.

We live in an interesting country with all its fault lines and mostly dormant volcanic mountains. In 2011 they found four new volcanic craters in Auckland bringing our total to 55. I can walk to four of them from my place (not the 4 recent ones) on a round trip out.

Persie

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 9 Jul 2013 23:16

Methinks we are all sitting on a hot potato ;-)

Huia

Huia Report 9 Jul 2013 22:03

Persie, I did intend to go to White Island a few years ago, but could never fit it into my busy life. Now I am not so sure I would be able to go as I am a bit unsteady on my feet at times, and would probably hold up the rest of the group too much. :-(
Phil and I did a flight over it some years back.

GHeather

GHeather Report 9 Jul 2013 09:51

Thanks very much for the info: Huia and Persephone. :-D

Persephone

Persephone Report 9 Jul 2013 08:26

GHeather,

Our White Island is permanently active some days more than other.. tours go out to the island, knowing Huia she has probably been and had a look... she gets around.

My SIL recently attained his PHD in Geology and we all trekked off to Christchurch the city of which is not like I last saw it before the earthquake, to his graduation ceremony.

His Masters Thesis was; The Interrelationships Between Faulting and Volcanism in the Okataina Volcanic Centre: New Zealand.

Persie

Huia

Huia Report 9 Jul 2013 06:44

That sounds a really great (in more ways than one) book, GH. Unfortunately I have more than enough books here. I wonder if it is available in our library?

I have a lot of photos that OH and I took when we flew around Mt Ruapehu when it was erupting about 17 or 18 years ago. That was a wonderful experience.

GHeather

GHeather Report 8 Jul 2013 13:45

That book: 'Earth on Fire' came today... WOW!!! What a massive book! Wasn't expecting it to be that BIG! Fantastic photographs of volcanos around the World! Postscript may still have a few left... it's by Bernhard Edmaier. Well worth a buy, however, need to find a place for it... IT'S MASSIVE!!! :-D ;-)

GHeather

GHeather Report 7 Jul 2013 12:22

I'ved ordered a book on this subject called: 'Earth on Fire', look forward to looking at the wonderful photos of volcanos around the World, and gaining more info about them... :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 29 Apr 2013 00:06

Huia, thanks for the postings. You made some good points. :-)

GHeather

GHeather Report 28 Apr 2013 23:55

DC,
Thanks for your reply, you made some good points, I'm not worrying, just a bit concerned, and fingers crossed they don't go off for a long time yet!!! :-D ;-) <3

Huia

Huia Report 28 Apr 2013 21:43

I am certainly not worrying about the possibility of a volcano erupting in Auckland or anywhere else around me, or about the possibility of a bit earthquake (I have felt some small ones in our area), or any other such things. Life is too short to worry about might-happens. I could be hit by a car as a woman was the other day when jogging. The car pinned her to a house. She died, the kitchen of the house was wrecked. It could happen to you. :-|