General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Question???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lesley

Lesley Report 28 Apr 2013 15:52

When I watch the TV programme 'Who do you think you are?' The person is allowed to see copies of Birth and Marriage Certificates etc, but access to images of those is not available to us on here. Why is that??

Lesley :-S

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 28 Apr 2013 15:53

They have been bought by researchers - we can buy them as well.

Gwynne

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Apr 2013 15:54

I think they are purchased by researchers before the programme goes out.
In earlier episodes, if a new link was discovered, the certificates were occasionally sent to the person.

jax

jax Report 28 Apr 2013 15:55

certs purchased here £9.25 each

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 28 Apr 2013 15:58

In any of the Records Offices you can see (when I was going there) marriage certs on fiche - probably on PC. Also details of christening and burial.

You can photocopy them - I preferred this especially with marriages as it was a copy of the original, complete with your relative's signature.

Lesley

Lesley Report 28 Apr 2013 15:58

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 28 Apr 2013 16:32

You can find indices to these certificates on Free BMD which will give the registration number as a reference to use. Only use the gov.uk address or the local Record Office - other genealogical sites offer to get them for you but charge more than double.