General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The crutch has landed.....

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 2 May 2013 14:15

Well hello GR friends ?

The post arrived a little while ago and I was absolutely stunned to receive cards and a cheque made up of gifts from you lovely people. I cannot thank you enough, it has really cheered me up. Also huge thanks to everyone who sent cards and pressies which arrived whilst I was in hospital. They meant so much when I was in isolation with no contact other than hubby for 8 days. Thanks too to Ann for arranging it all.

The revision went very well apparently, the previous screws and socket more or less fell out! So I was absolutely right in my belief that 5 and a half years of unrelenting pain and loss of mobility was due to an incompetent surgeon. The thigh bone was separated and wired back together and I have one hell of an incision but as a friend said “why are you bothered? It’s not like you are going to be exposing it”…lolol

I was very unfortunate to get the hospital acquired infection. The massive dose of antibiotics given during the revision killed all my resistance to any bugs. I will not describe the effects in case you are eating but even the nursing staff were impressed !

The antibiotics I was given were making me worse and a very thoughtful charge nurse had a word with me after being on ABs for 5 days and said he was going to contact my surgeon with a suggestion. At this stage I hadn’t made urine for 4 days, had 4 cannulae collapse as veins gave up the ghost and C no.5 had to be inserted by the on call anaesthetist following 8 failed attempts by 2 doctors.

They stopped the AB and gave me 2 Loperamide and within 18 hours I was starting to retain fluids. What a bloody relief ?

So I am now recovering at home, have to use double crutches for 12 weeks and have a smart wheel chair for 7 weeks. The self inflating/deflating cushion arrived today and that can be used in the car and on the sofa too. Got another 4 weeks of wearing the kinky thigh high anti embolism stockings but as I had a pulmonary embolism after the last op I will wear the blasted things!

As an extra shock for you I have not had a ciggie for 22 days (my friends can get up off the floor now…lmao). I have smoked for 47 years! It isn’t easy but I am trying to stop.

So that’s it my lovelies, you are up to date. Thanks again for all your kind messages, cards and gifts. You really did make the past 3 weeks bearable.

Love to all

Sue x

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 2 May 2013 14:26

welcome back sue
and i am glad your on the mend x :-D

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 2 May 2013 14:32

Good to see you back.

Well done on the lack of ciggies. I've been clean nearly 2 years.

GoldenGirl1

GoldenGirl1 Report 2 May 2013 14:40

Well done Sue, good to hear you are on the mend. :-)

Emma

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 2 May 2013 14:48

not only am I relieved to see you back I'm mega relieved the package arrived!! It's lovely to see you posting again Sue - you have been missed

Ann XXXX

Mersey

Mersey Report 2 May 2013 15:00

Welcome back Sue, so happy to hear you are on the mend, you have certainly been missed.........Take care :-D :-D <3 <3xxx

Wend

Wend Report 2 May 2013 15:06

Well, fancy that, I've just sent an e-mail to Sue and here she is :-D

Whoopy - fantastic to see you posting again! :-D <3

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 May 2013 15:14

Welcome back. Good to see you and well done. <3

Paula+

Paula+ Report 2 May 2013 15:18

Welcome "home" Sue. Take it easy.

Paula

Island

Island Report 2 May 2013 15:20

I really enjoyed the blow-by-blow :-0 :-D

Take care and get yourself up and about soon :-D :-D

SheilaWestWilts

SheilaWestWilts Report 2 May 2013 15:25

So glad you're home, and on the road to recovery.

All the best

Sheila x

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 2 May 2013 15:34

Welcome back :-)

*** Mummo ***

*** Mummo *** Report 2 May 2013 16:00

Hi , glad your back home and wonderful news about the smoking, xx

Kay????

Kay???? Report 2 May 2013 16:26

couple of weeks or so then you'll be up for a pre-trial leg-a-thon..... :-D :-D :-D :-D.

good news,,,,,just time now,good weather on the way so you'll be able to get outside at least,,,,,

<3 <3

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 2 May 2013 17:12

Welcome back Sue,take it easy.
Mau xx

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 2 May 2013 18:51

Great to see you back Sue :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 2 May 2013 18:56

Sue
It's so good to see you back here.

Enjoy a steady recovery and you'll be all set for when the sun shines.

Gwyn x

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 2 May 2013 19:50

Glad you are back home and hope you continue to improve every day.

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 2 May 2013 20:19

Oh my giddy aunt watch out folks she's back:))))))

Yehh welcome home Supercrutch....good to see you:))

Take care

jude xxxx ;-) :-P

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 2 May 2013 20:22

Glad to see you're Posting in the GR world again Sis... :-D.. <3