General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do you have interesting info... ?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 3 May 2013 22:46

Do you have interesting info about a family member, about a location where your relative came from... about a family relative during WW1 or WW2 ??? Anything really. Would be interesting if you could share, thanks.

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 3 May 2013 22:51

I was trawling through newspaper archives on FMP and came across a few articles about one of my 4 x greatgrandfathers. He was a travelling missionary supposedly. He apparently fraudulently collected money for charity. He left his wife with 6 children and "co-habited" with another woman who had 2 children with him. He said in court that his wife (my 4 x greatgrandmother) was trying to poison him so he gave his food to one of his children "lest it destroy me". He was an absolute bounder :-D

Allan

Allan Report 3 May 2013 23:20

My great great grandfather was found drowned. His death certificate says,"Found drowned, presumed accident"

Family myth down the generations has it that he fell off a bridge when he was blind drunk and landed in the river

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 3 May 2013 23:39

:-D, Allan. One of my great great grandfathers "fell down dead with a jug of beer in his hand" according to a family tale. OH said he hoped he didn't spill the beer :-D

Allan

Allan Report 3 May 2013 23:46

Sue, my wife marvels at me. I can fall asleep in the chair with a full glass of wine in my hand and not spill a drop.

Unfortunately, she has the photos to prove it! :-D :-D

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 3 May 2013 23:49

I want to see your photos!! Now that is a story that will pass down through the family and future generations will have a good laugh at your expense :-D

Allan

Allan Report 3 May 2013 23:55

I'll see what I can do, Sue, but I must warn you, they are not a pretty sight :-|

GHeather

GHeather Report 4 May 2013 00:23

WOW!!! Interesting info, love it! :-D <3

Allan

Allan Report 4 May 2013 00:37

My apologies for going slightly off topic, GHeather :-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 4 May 2013 01:32

One of my lot (can't remember who) froze to death.

The story is that he had been at the pub and fell down in a ditch on the way home.

:-(

LindaB

LindaB Report 4 May 2013 02:27

I found that my OH's gt grandfather broke world wide records for continuous piano playing...playing without a sheet of music or playing any piece twice as he had a photographic memory.

His last effort which I found recorded was in 1906 where he played for 48 hours continuous.

From newspaper reports after this record he was marched shoulder high through the town streets to his home in triumph.

From googling I found a postcard on EBay showing him playing commemorating his 1906 record which I was able to purchase :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 4 May 2013 10:52

I have the surname Sprules in my family tree, and read about a woman with this surname who used to make lavender oil for Queen Victoria.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 May 2013 12:29

My late father in law wasn't on HMS Hood when it sunk. He should have been - but was drunk :-D (gosh that ryhmes)

He went on to become chef for King George VI

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 4 May 2013 13:13

OH's uncle emigtrated to USA on Titanic - he did not arrive.

My maternal gg. gfather died in an asylum from syphilis and he and his descendents were cut out of the family and the family firm.

OH's maternal g.father (he has been mentioned before) was a serial bigamist! Five times he married (always in church). Only the first was legal. Last week we discovered evidence that bride No.4 had discovered within a very short time
her 20yrs older groom had a hidden past - however he got off!

We assume that by this time he knew his first wife had died and must have prduced a death cert., but Nos. 2 and 3 were still alive and indeed when he married No.5 after a 17yr break from married bliss, wife No.3 was definitely still alive.

On the trail now to see if we can find the evidence presented in court. OH definitely does not take after his g.father although he does admire his fortitude!!!

One of my g.g.uncles drowned at sea - however family lore has it that he fell over the side whilst he was going to the toilet.

GHeather

GHeather Report 4 May 2013 14:25

All very interesting, and thanks for that info ChrisofWessex. :-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 4 May 2013 14:59

legend in my Williams family is that we go back to Oliver Cromwell - always referred to as Uncle Ollie - having researched it I can see it is quite feasible

GHeather

GHeather Report 4 May 2013 16:40

Very interesting AnnCardiff. If you find out more let us know... thanks.

GinN

GinN Report 4 May 2013 16:51

My 3x great uncle and his family emigrated to USA 1n the 1850's, and did quite well for themselves. One was the first Sherrif of a county in Oregon, two brothers founded a department store in Minnesota, which still exists, and one of the family became the govenor of Washington State 1909 - 1913. One girl , her husband and children were murdered in their home by an axeman, and the crime has never fully been solved.
On another side of the family, my4x great grandfather was transported to Australia for stealing carpentry tools, and died before completing his sentence.
It's amazing what you can find out!

GHeather

GHeather Report 4 May 2013 17:34

Thanks for this GeordieinNorfolk, interesting info.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 4 May 2013 17:45

on my Breakspear side of the tree, one Robert Breakspear was transported to Oz from Berkshire in 1832 for sending a threatening letter to his employer - presumably he survived the trip cos there are now Brakspears in Oz