General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

More and more... turning to UKIP.

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 4 May 2013 16:46

Most people want out of the EU... etc... can you see UKIP support going upwards ? Any thoughts/views ??

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 4 May 2013 16:51

i think a lot of people in my area
are leaning towards ukip :-D

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 4 May 2013 16:53

Yes

Dermot

Dermot Report 4 May 2013 16:56

'Most' is a bit over-the-top description not reflected in the recent election results.

Replace 'most' with 'many' & I'll agree with you.

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 4 May 2013 16:57

I would like to think so, to make the other parties take notice of peoples views not just follow the instructions of those that donate large sums.
I suspect the party faithfull will turn out in force though at a general election, heaven forbid the floating voter should get a chance to change things.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 4 May 2013 16:59

Not around here, I'm delighted to say. Not a single UKIP councillor.

Tories have lost overall control of the council which is now hung. It just gets better. :-D

Hayley   Empress of Drama

Hayley Empress of Drama Report 4 May 2013 17:04

And not round here I too am delighted to say :-D

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 4 May 2013 17:09

Yes l can!!
l definately want out of the EU but not sure if UKIP is the answer, will have to see!!

jude

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 4 May 2013 17:22

UKIP have no hold in Wales. So not really UKIP - more English Independence Party.

I think many people in Wales have always felt quite close to French and Irish in particular and Europe in general. And Scotland has strong links with countries in Northern Europe. It might be nice to have a totally isolated England dependent on America and China.

It might work, Mr Farage. But I am very pleased I live to the west of Offa's Dyke. :-D :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 4 May 2013 17:25

well I don't feel close to Europe - I want out of the EU

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 4 May 2013 17:33

AnnC. You basically have four ways to vote - Labour, Tory, Lib Dem and PC. And all apart from Tory (a name which many of us in Wales will not utter) are fairly pro-Europe. Perhaps all wanting changes in funding arrangements so that our farming community are not disadvantaged compared to French farmers.

But all four will be fighting in 2017 (??) to keep us in the EU. So perhaps we do need a Welsh anti-EU party. I should imagine a lot of people feel like you do in Wales.

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 4 May 2013 17:38

No They have taken the protest vote that would in past elections have gone to the Lib dems ( ie 'I can't vote Labour, I won't vote Conservative...I'll vote Lib dem').

I 'might' think it might be a good idea to get out of the EU...but it is the "etc" of UKIP's policies that I do not like.

GHeather

GHeather Report 4 May 2013 17:48

I like the UKIP Party. :-D

GRMarilyn

GRMarilyn Report 4 May 2013 17:48

Well I'm quite happy that my vote was a rebel vote Ukip !!

Bet Cameron woke up early yesterday.........shocked at the Ukip support

At least Cameron seems to support a EU referendum in this government !

Hope he does not fail... :-S....hmm lets wait and see :-(

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 4 May 2013 17:54

Kitty. Don't understand point. I said Welsh people are generally pro-Europe. We have our own Government in Cardiff Bay and run our own NHS, our own schools and a few other areas without any financial help from Westminster (apart from woefully inadequate block grants based on a hopelessly outdated and unfair Joel Barnett formula).

Silk Commission is currently reviewing further moves forward in law making and accountability for the Welsh Government - which could easily conclude that the constituent countries of the UK (Scotland, England and Wales) can decide independently what large groups (like NATO, EU) they wish to be members of.

Nobody in Wales has teased the EU like the very English public school toff Niggle Farage. :-(

GHeather

GHeather Report 4 May 2013 17:54

We need to get out of the EU... fast!

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 4 May 2013 17:55

I think if you want out of Europe UKIP who are maybe not perfect is your only way

Both of the other two parties do not want to do it, all you will get is some fudge not in or out, you wll get this option or that take your pick, neither will be what you really want. You will have to vote for whatever comes closest.

Then they will delight in saying that's what you asked for and look how good we are giving it to you!

I don't have a problem with the original free movement of trade idea, it's the interferance with our laws and the uncontrolled movement of people, together with fact that they can claim allowances for children they claim to have elsewhere in the EU I don't hold with.

GHeather

GHeather Report 4 May 2013 17:57

Yes, good points Mayfield. :-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 4 May 2013 18:01

JLH is a somewhat inaccurate in claiming that the Tories do not have a political presence in Wales.

"The Welsh Conservatives have one of four Welsh seats in the European Parliament, eight of 40 Welsh seats in the UK Parliament and 14 of 60 seats in the National Assembly for Wales." So somebody must use the word Tory from time to time.

Minority sure but far from not there at all.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 4 May 2013 18:05

Seeing as we do most of our trade with the EU getting out might be a bit like shooting oneself in the foot. It isn't that simple.

A better option is to change the terms of our membership.

UKIP? Yawn - I remember the Greens in the 1980's - they were going to be a major player in the next parliament - it took till 2010 to get one seat!