General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do you follow the family talent?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ann

ann Report 4 May 2013 21:56

My dad has always done oil paintings. My son can draw and my nephew is a artist. My dad plays many musical instruments and built his own guitar. Taught many people to play guitar. Nephew plays bass guitar and in a group. In La now but will be back to play at Glastonbury. My daughter can read and write music and plays a few instruments. My mum was a sample machinist and has made many costumes for celebs. I used to either stick hems up with sellotape or staple them up. Daughters school coat used to scratch her legs lol I cant draw or paint, and I could not even play the recorder at school.

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 May 2013 22:03

Fred was a great gardener.I am a killer of all things green.

He could play piano by ear and just about any other instrument with a bit of practice.I have to be told if the notes go up or down.

His mother was an excellent cook and I can cook a bit, as can my cousin.

Apparently most of our family were very good at trimming with a fag hook and I am none too bad at that.There's useful!

ann

ann Report 4 May 2013 22:08

lol Sharron as good as me xx

GinN

GinN Report 4 May 2013 22:14

The talent on the female side of my Mam's family is the inability to ride a bike. After four generations, my daughter and grandaughter are confident cyclists.
My Mam's side of the family were musical - Grandad played the cornet, Mam the piano and sang beautifully - I'm hopeless. But, I take after my dad for painting and drawing.

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 5 May 2013 17:40

I CARRY THE TALENT FOR PUTTING MY BIG FOOT IN MY BIG MOUTH

BEING IN THE WRONG PLACE AT THE. WRONG TIME

THAT'S ME

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 5 May 2013 17:50

Dizzi...l'm abit like that too.

Other wise NO, cause me dad always told me l would'nt get anywhere with my art/craft...sooo l have'nt:((((

jude

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 5 May 2013 18:06

Well Gran & G/dad couldn't do anything...Mum & Dad couldn't do anything ... I can't do anything and daur can't do anything ....So yes it runs in the family, However on husband's side his father painted and sang ..huby paints and our 4 boys can also paint ...So again I would say it runs in the family lol!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 5 May 2013 18:36

Dad had a lovely singing voice but he was so modest he needed LOADS of encouragement to sing . His unaccompanied rendition of Danny Boy was beautiful.

Our elder sister inherited his voice and tried to make a career in singing. Unfortunately the way was via the casting couch that she didnt want to pursue. She was on Hughy Greens importunity knocks and Carol levis on the BBC but although she won it was with strings.

Carol Levis offered her the female companion on his show cos the
lady was leaving but again it was with strings via the casting couch. She declined.

She did have a small career as a semi professional with two other girls who did and Andrews sisters type of act. They did the London cabaret rounds in clubs etc.

We have a photo of her and Richard Attenbourough on a Radio Luxembourg programme .

She gave up singing when she married .

I love music but unfortunately didn't inherit a good singing voice

UzziInSunshine

UzziInSunshine Report 5 May 2013 19:19

What an interesting question.

Like Dad I love old buildings and would love to renovate houses as he did. I can build a brick wall and knock one down ! Like Dad I can see a finished product out of a ruin. I seriously wished that I had gone into the building trade and done architecture and carpentry rather than pushed into the girlier side things of cooking and childcare.
My paternal grandmother used to be a barmaid ....and this is who I follow most.

From my mother, Well she worked for Butlins as did I, she did market research as did I. She has had many great ideas but expects others to follow them through mmmmm maybe I do have a bit of my mother in me

;-)

SheilaWestWilts

SheilaWestWilts Report 5 May 2013 19:28

My maternal grandfather was a good artist, Mum didn't get the gene but my aunt did, as did her daughter! My OH's g-grandfather has a painting in the National Gallery, OH doesn't have the talent unfortunately :-D

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 5 May 2013 21:43

Well, I've always had an interest in photography and printing, not surprising since my Dad was a commercial photographer and taught photolithography for 30 years.
I had my first camera at the age of 9 and have never been without one since. I used to love going into work with dad, he taught me how to develop b/w film and print my own photos, and taught me all about printing. I went into graphic design as a youngster (pre-computer days, the days when people did it all by hand). Going into the printing trade was impossible as it was a closed shop in those days, so I just dabbled.

Going back a generation, dad's uncle was a keen photographer and worked at Kodak for donkey's years so I guess my dad's interest must have been started from his uncle.

As far as I know, nobody else in the family was into photography or printing.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 May 2013 01:45

I come from a mixed bunch.
Can't sing, can't dance, can't play an instrument.....
Mum was artistic in the painting sense, so (apparently) am I, but do nothing with it..
Elder brother is a professional artist, though as a living, he's a bonsai potter. (pm me and I'll give you his name)
Mum was fairly uselesss with animals. She had dogs in Portugal, (this was post dad) but they were awful to take on walks.
Dad was extremely good with animals - much better than he was with humans. He'd bring cheetah's and desert foxes home, and go into cages with lions, (I did it once)

I'm a damn sight better with animals than my sister, who's managed to get a baby donkey that was sooo violent they had to give her away, to someone who could control her.
She now has a cat that, when you go to stroke it, the bugger attacks!!

Any animal I have had realises I am the boss :-D
Mainly through stroking their tummies.
I've never had a cat that has attacked a human, apart from one.
I did have a huge ginger tom, who, when youngest was a toddler, and used to tease him, gave 3 warnings before attacking/biting.
She knew this, so it was her fault if he bit :-D
But he'd then lie on her bed all night - until she woke.

Now aged 30, she has a great respect for animals and has 2 huge ginger rescue cats :-D

Mum's ancestors were ag labs - i can do that, but have never tried what dad's ancestors were - tin miners, so don't know if I have that 'talent'.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 6 May 2013 03:08

Many of my female ancestors were tambourers (embroiderers).

Not me! I had to do it at school and hated it :-(

Two of my brothers can draw anything.... my limit is a "smiley face".... but I'm good at technical drawing.

If there's a dog around, he/she comes up to me and sits on my feet. Cats want to be my friend. :-D A bit scary when the dog is a rottweiler, and I'm allergic to cats!

:-D

No idea where all this comes from.