General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tree Seperation

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ronald

Ronald Report 6 May 2013 21:37

Can anyone tell me if there is a way I can split my tree from my wives tree as i have added her family tree on to mine I dont want to delete the info I have done.
Many thanks Ron

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 May 2013 23:55

If you have an off line tree programme, you can split your combined tree using that. You'd have to down load a copy from here in the form of a gedcom - the original one stays on the site.
Although the BMD events and notes will copy with the gedcom, any attached pictures or record images won't.

The problem comes if or when you want to upload a version back to GR. It will wipe out what is currently there - been there, done that, and pulled out numerous hairs!

It does look as if GR might have plans to support more than one tree per membership in the future - look at the wording 'My Trees' (plural) on the 'View other Trees' link - but until, or even if, that happens you'd only be able to work on either yours or your wife's ancestral tree.

Ronald

Ronald Report 7 May 2013 13:35

Thank you for your advice it was most welcome

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 7 May 2013 15:08

The best way of organising your family tree is to keep it off line and then upload as needed to GRU or any other site that you fancy trying out. That way your data and notes stay under your control and are easy to backup. It is also easy to keep a copy on USB complete with FTM or GRAMPS. Handy for library visits for example.

The current GEDCOM import/export from GRU has errors in it which can screw up dates and anything using accented and non-Latin characters. They know this but have not attempted a fix. OTOH GRU have imposed a ban on upper case data entry re surnames for some reason.

The best two programs for doing this are Family Tree Maker which can be bought very cheaply for £ 8-20. Many people prefer the older versions. FTM works fine regardless of whether you have an Ay sub or not. The other is GRAMPS which is totally free and more powerful but harder to use. Both allow multiple trees, versioning etc.

All of the other free programs have restrictions esp relating to print, number of generations, import/export..

GRU printing has not worked for more than a year and I would not hold yr breath for a fix. OTOH printing with FTM or GRAMPS works fine.

Ronald

Ronald Report 7 May 2013 17:19

Thank you Rollo The Red for your advice all is welcome.
Regards Ron

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 7 May 2013 18:43

Why do you want to split your tree?

I did try to maintain more than one but that was several years ago. It only lasted a few months and I ended going back to just the one version as I found it to be less hassle.

I do like Rollo has suggested and have one 'Master' version on my PC. I use FTM for this. I then send cut down versions to whoever is interested, and upload to websites such as GR, as required.