General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family research for a lifetime...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 7 May 2013 16:02

I suppose family research can go on for a lifetime... so many people in our family tree. Are you happy with what you have found out so far... ? Has Genes Reunited been very helpful ? I have found it to be very good, and gathered a great deal of family info. :-D By the way, how many years would you say, you have been doing your family research ? Do you remember what year you started ?

BarneyKent

BarneyKent Report 7 May 2013 16:14

Once the genealogy bug grabs you, you have had it. It remains with you for life.
I have been researching for over 15 years and am still at it. Of course after a long period of time the information you find gets less and less but when you do find something the buzz is still the same.

I recently went 5 or 6 weeks without a find but then, out of the blue a contact provided me with a clue that pointed me in the direction of some relative information, just as now and again I am able to do the same to another researcher. Family researchers are, on the whole, a friendly and generous group of people, although I have met one or two exceptions to this rule.

Genes Reunited is a useful site, with like-minded souls who all have the same objective. The Ancestry site is good and so is the Mormon Family Search site. Not tried Find My Past but I have heard positive remarks about it.

Good luck GHeather and keep digging.

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 7 May 2013 16:36

Mine started in 2000.....I put together a rough tree for my parents Golden Wedding .

Around that time I started going online and it grew from there.

I have some good contacts and meet regularly with some paternal line family, my Uncle and I have got closer as he began research a little after I did and we regularly meet up for a chat and compare notes and pictures etc.

Gr was excellent for getting me started, or rather the members were :-)

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 7 May 2013 17:57

I started in 1984, triggered by the sudden death of a relative who had a good knowledge of our family history. My brother and I decided we would ask the rest of the family, and write down what we knew. And then of course one thing led to another and we started searching. Most of the early work was done at the archives, no internet to help then. I travelled all over the country to visit different offices.

I joined GR in the early days to lodge my family tree, and to hopefully contact other searchers of the family. This has been very successful, as has the help I've been given on the boards. And more info comes to light all the time, as records are transcribed and lodged.

GHeather

GHeather Report 7 May 2013 19:35

Thanks for posting, I enjoying reading them all! :-)

FootieAngel

FootieAngel Report 7 May 2013 19:43

I started in 1978 (I was eight) when I used to help my Nan to write everything down - I must say most of her tales have proved 99.9 % accurate and even though family member knew nothing of some of the things she told me they have been proven, such as a little brother she helped nurse as he died. Most of the family knew of a sister who she had helped look after, but I found the little boy she had his name and his age and also his cause of death correct even though she was only 5. She told me all of her life she had been trying to fit pieces of her family together. After she passed away in 1991 it was natural that I was the one to continue the quest - so its taken two lifetimes so far, I hope one day I may be able to pass it on for another to take up the quest x

GHeather

GHeather Report 7 May 2013 19:48

Thanks for the info: FootieAngel. :-)

GHeather

GHeather Report 7 May 2013 19:49

All ages are getting involved now, so, that's good! :-D

FootieAngel

FootieAngel Report 7 May 2013 19:52

No Thank you GHeather, its a good thread I will be following it to read more interesting things x

GinN

GinN Report 7 May 2013 20:12

Hi, GHeather,I only started to research my family tree in January 2012,after a taster session in my local library, and have hardly stoppped since!
Nearly all of my research has been on Ancestry, with help from relatives.
I have to say that Genes Reunited have not figured greatly in my research, but I've greatly enjoyed the interaction with other members.
It's a great hobby, and I'm always discovering something new about my family.

Lynda :-)

GHeather

GHeather Report 7 May 2013 23:29

Ok Lynda, thanks for the info. :-)

Iris

Iris Report 8 May 2013 14:09

I started in 1999 the year my father died , by writing down all I knew about my family ..in fact very little ,,then I wrote down all my husband knew about his ..even less .
I didn't get on line until 2006, when we bought our first p.c.
I found the genes family very helpful at first , but now work mainly from ancestry.

GHeather

GHeather Report 8 May 2013 14:58

Thanks for the info Iris. :-)

GinN

GinN Report 8 May 2013 15:22

I enjoy going on family search field trips, too - visiting places they once lived, hunting in graveyards for headstones, and will soon go to local record offices to try to fill in gaps. On a recent trip to France, I visited the World War 1 graves of a couple of cousin - quite a moving experience.