General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

So what can I get?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 7 May 2013 22:57

I hae always thought that I would avail myself of all the little perks that are available to you once you turn sixty.

So far I have seen an offer of a fish and chip lunch,complete with peas and a cup of tea for £4 and £2 off a shampoo and set at the hairdressers.

Apart from those and a bus pass,which it appears is not automatic, what else can I have?

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 7 May 2013 23:02

if you post a date to jenniwren you can have a birthday thread set up........

michael2

michael2 Report 7 May 2013 23:05

May be fred will take you out for a free lunch.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 7 May 2013 23:30

Half price DVD rental (and fines) from your local library?

Diamonds-R-A-Girls-Best-Friend

Diamonds-R-A-Girls-Best-Friend Report 7 May 2013 23:33

Free eye test.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 7 May 2013 23:35

You don't arf make me larf sometimes Sharron!!

:-D :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 May 2013 23:35

Unless they've moved the goal posts in the last 3 years ('im, not me!) -

Free prescriptions
Reduced cost of entry at National Trust and English Heritage

Anything to make the pennies go further is welcome

GinN

GinN Report 8 May 2013 14:26

Don't get much oppertunity to use my bus pass (due to lousy bus service around here), but I love my Senior Rail Card. It's not free, cost depends on how many years worth you buy, but you get a third off rail travel. If you live near a main line, it's well worth it for trips out. :-)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 8 May 2013 14:38

Lots of pubs do mid-week lunches for Seniors at reduced price.

B & Q special prices on Wednesdays.

Some garden centres have special prices too on certain days, check locally.

Gwyn

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 8 May 2013 14:42

lol

I applied for a Seniors' card when I turned 60.

Got the card, and a book listing all the places that give discounts to seniors in NSW.

At least 80% of those places are in Sydney (I'm about 800km north of Sydney) and I'm not near the other 20% either.

Why can't the Seniors' card be National?

I wonder if I'll get anything when I turn 65?

:-\

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 8 May 2013 15:22

Have just been for lunch at a local carvery with a friend who got a 'pensioner meal' .
I paid full price for mine because I wanted the 'free highchair bowl' for my granddaughter and they only come with a full price meal lol, but worth knowing for another time.

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 8 May 2013 15:23

Scozz ... "I wonder if I'll get anything when I turn 65"?

Probably arthritis girl,

careful what you wish for :-D :-D :-D

GinN

GinN Report 8 May 2013 15:26

That seems a bit unfair, Lyndi. Why can't a pensioner have a free bowl if they take the grandchildren out for a meal?!

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 8 May 2013 15:36

Reduced price at the pictures. Have a look and see reduced price at hairdressers! B&Q have pensioner cards 10% off on certain days. Keep looking there's lots on offer

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 8 May 2013 16:11

I've already got arthritis!!

When the doc asks how the arthritis is, I take great pleasure in showing him my middle finger

:-D

that's the joint that's swollen more than the others.

I can't creep up behind anyone these days.......... they hear me!! Creaky Creaky knees.