General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ruined Reputation.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dermot

Dermot Report 8 May 2013 09:14

It's sad how people are often defined by their worst moment. One indiscretion often wipes out a long distinguished career.

Mud sticks.

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 8 May 2013 09:31

It's according to what the worst indiscretion was though Dermot, if it was nicking a bar of chocolate, I could forgive that, but if it were molesting someone, I'd say that the long distinguished career was gone for good.

Sometimes it's good that mud sticks.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 8 May 2013 09:57

My problem is that although the 'abused' is allowed annonymity throughout the whole procedure.

The accused is named almost immediately, whether guilty or not.

I am not of the 'there's no smoke without fire' thinking. As we know far too many people have been accused in the past only to be found completely innocent and accused by

a disgruntled employee
a schoolchild looking for revenge
or someone who just wants to get someone they do not like into trouble

At this moment in time, for many of the new names that are now coming up. All I think is I just do not believe it.

And as said before, even if found completely innocent all that is remembered is the accusation, not the clearing of their name.

It's a very sad situation we are in at present.

TaniaNZ

TaniaNZ Report 8 May 2013 11:19

Did you spend the last few days with your eyes shut piglet pal
Reality.... not just opinion but statistical FACT
A tiny number of sexual or domestic assaults are found to be malicious
The false complaint rates are similar to all other crime
Conversely only a tiny percentage of people who comitt a sexual offence will ever be charged or convicted compared to almost half the people who comitt other crimes
In fact
The majority of people who committ a sexual offence will never see the inside of a court
All complainants go through a strenuous system involving the police and prosecutors who will decide if there is enough evidence to get a conviction.
The other thing that fascinates me about your statement is the assertion people are found completely innocent.
There is a vast difference between being found not guilty due to a lack of evidence
And complete innocence

There needs to be another verdict available
When on the balance of probability a crime has been committed but they have not reached the threshold to convict
These people walk out of the court but their victims have the satisfaction of at least knowing they were believed because the current situation is shocking
Many a jury come out with a split decision and all those perpetrators walk out Scott free
I will not be satisfied until charge and conviction rates become equal to those in other crimes and people stop perpetuating the myths that are rife on this board
As I said before I am delighted that people are getting justice and I hope that any perpetrators out there who have smugly got away with something for decades are shaking in there boots
If it creates them even a minute of anxiety. Then bloody well good!!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 May 2013 11:30

The Scottish court system has a 'not proven' verdict.

We've had a discussion on here several years ago when a ex member who is a lawyer said that the English/Welsh 'not guilty' verdict can be over turned if more evidence comes to light. (I think)

If that's wrong, then someone is more than welcome to correct :-)

LilyL

LilyL Report 8 May 2013 11:39

I'm afraid I agree with Piglet's Pal. I've always understood that in this country a person is innocent until found guilty by a court of law, and not by trial of the media, and I don't think that anyone should be named until such guilt is proven in the appropriate way; Lord Mcalpine being the obvious case. Andrew Mitchell being another. Of course if someone is found to be guilty of a particular crime, then the full force of the law should be applied to that person in a Court of Law, not the lynch mob!

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 8 May 2013 12:07

I agree with Piglet's Pal

TaniaNZ
"There is a vast difference between being found not guilty due to a lack of evidence
And complete innocence"

not guilty due to a lack of evidence means exactly that, " their is no or not enough evidence " to convict, That is not a given that anyone is guilty,

The evidence can all be circumstantial/coincidence and one persons word against another so no evidence at all but then a not guilty verdict due to lack of evidence is given,

To assume that returning the verdict due to "lack of evidence" would mean someone is guilty is wrong,

Roy

LilyL

LilyL Report 8 May 2013 12:40

We were in an unpleasant dispute some years ago and our lawyer instructed us that in order to get a decisive outcome at law you MUST have sufficient evidence; without that the case simply cannot succeed. The only way this can be altered is by a change in the law, which let's face it would be less than satisfactory, as you really cannot convict someone on flimsy evidence however sure your feelings are that they are guilty. You equally cannot accuse people of anything until it has been proved, so naming people you only suspect must be wrong.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 8 May 2013 12:48

Tania,

Malicious accusations or not, once the slur has been made..........

a tiny number of false accusations is a tiny number too many

.it sticks..........

LilyL

LilyL Report 8 May 2013 12:54

This of course is the problem. A life/lives can be terminally ruined by false acusation and a tiny number is far too many - you just can't do that.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 8 May 2013 13:28

More than 1,000 sex offenders have received police cautions in the east of England rather than face court proceedings, it has emerged.

The figures, obtained by the BBC via a Freedom of Information request, reveal some of those cautioned admitted rape.

A shocking report I was sent to read.,,,,can be read in full @BBCnews online,

Realising not all may have involved minors.

TaniaNZ

TaniaNZ Report 8 May 2013 20:39

That is shocking Kay and totally reflects the point of my posts
I'd like to say I'm amazed at the opinions of some of the posters but again the attitudes seen are precisely why the rates are as they are
It's a real pity that the energy put into perpetuating the myths is not put into sorting out a statistic that is down right horrifying
And for those of you who are worried about lives terminally ruined
REALLY !!!
Take a look around you
Lives are terminally ruined every day by sexual assault
And that knocks on to all members of a family
People can receive counselling for a lifetime and effects are felt for generations
You only have to look around these boards for evidence of that

TaniaNZ

TaniaNZ Report 8 May 2013 20:41

Detective I would like to see that verdict extended to other countries
That's exactly what I mean

LilyL

LilyL Report 9 May 2013 10:47

Then we must agree to differ TanianNZ. We all have our own opinions, which (I think?) we are entitled to.