General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What a rip off!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 8 May 2013 13:13

What things/items do you consider a RIP OFF ? Football shirts, Dentists, trainers, perhaps ? We seem to be over paying big time!

terryj

terryj Report 8 May 2013 13:22

football shirts are a rip off
they change them every year bring out a different kit for cup games etc

GHeather

GHeather Report 8 May 2013 13:24

Football shirts cost about 7 pounds to make, I think. They used to sell for about 45 to 50 pounds, now, you can buy them for about 25 pounds I think ?

Merlin

Merlin Report 8 May 2013 13:36

Anything to do with Football is a rip off,they take their supporters for mugs,just look at the prices charged to watch a match,scandalous,and yet they continue to go .

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 8 May 2013 13:51

I think that the governments 20% level of vat is a rippoff...........

1/5th of practically everything you buy is ......

TAX

and the cash you use to buy it already taxed as you earn it

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 8 May 2013 14:05

I paid £45 for my latest football shirt. :-D

Merlin

Merlin Report 8 May 2013 14:23

Cost about a Fiver to make :-( Rip off.

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 8 May 2013 14:24

Top of the list has to be printer ink :-0 :-0

BarneyKent

BarneyKent Report 8 May 2013 14:37

A cup of coffee, under half a pint costs £2.60 !

I can get a pint of bitter, brewed on the premises at my real-ale pub for the same price and that includes duty.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 8 May 2013 14:38

Ann it depends where you purchase it from - PM me if you want a good cheap supplier.

I loathe the fact that every time I enjoy supping my favourite pint I am giving nearly 40 per cent of it to the exchequer.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 8 May 2013 14:46

Knickers!

I pay about $20 for a decent pair of knickers (I've given up buying cheap ones, they go baggy and horrible).

OH can get a packet of 6 for $10!!

Discrimination!!!!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 May 2013 15:26

petrol - far too pricey

Brenda from Wales

Brenda from Wales Report 8 May 2013 15:39

Agree with all those.....
Still can't get my head around the price of coffee and tea in a cafe
Know it's a long time ago,but in the early 60's I had a cafe and the very best Cona coffee machine and best ground coffee..
Price of pot of tea for 2....1/6d...cup 5d
Cup of coffee 8d
Has inflation gone up that much?

BarneyKent

BarneyKent Report 8 May 2013 16:15

Only way to compare it I suppose is to equate it with your wages/salary at the time.

I had a good job in 1962 and my salary was £850 p.a. After stoppages I went home with £14 a week. Beer was 1/8 in old money - (8p today). As Brenda says, tea was 5d, (2p), coffee 8d, (3p). So with £14 I could then buy:
175 pints of beer a week, or:
700 cups of tea week, or:
465 cups of coffee a week.

Salary in that job today is about £25,000. Take home for me would be about £380 per week. Cheapest beer in our pub is £2.60 a pint. Tea in a cafe is about £1.00 and coffee about £2.00.

So today with £380, I could buy:
152 pints of beer a week, or:
380 cups of tea, or:
190 cups of coffee.

So the answer is yes - inflation has gone up that much for drinks.

But remember what is cheaper - TVs, Washing Machines, Tumble Driers, Watches, etc. etc. My first TV (Black and White, 14" screen), cost £94. Today you can get a 19" High Definition TV with built in DVD Player for £119.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 May 2013 16:28

and shoes - I remember when a pair of shoes cost a week's wages - not any more - though the down side of that is they are all now made in the Far East

BarneyKent

BarneyKent Report 8 May 2013 16:37

And a man's suit. I used to save up for 3 months to be able to afford one. Now you can get one for under £80.00.
OK, its not Saville Row, but is perfectly acceptable for work.

GHeather

GHeather Report 8 May 2013 17:33

LaGooner: you look good in your football shirt, shame you had to pay so much for it! Now, we know why footballers earn so much! Well part of why.

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 8 May 2013 18:26

Body waxing strips? :-D

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 8 May 2013 18:40

Certain items, staple foods especially and Mars bars go up in line with inflation, almost to the penny. (Hence the term the Mars Bar inflation index)

Technical, and what we term consumer goods, electrical in particular tend to come down in price in real terms over time.

The other factor are wages which increase at a greater rate than prices.

So, if you earned £100 in 1951 and spent the lot in one go on Mars Bars it would cost you around £2,500 today to buy the same amount.

On the other hand if you earned £100 in 1951 then the same job would pay you £6,800 today.

GHeather

GHeather Report 8 May 2013 19:31

We seem to pay more for things in this country! Probably cheaper in parts of Europe, but perhaps dearer in some countries ?