General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stupid Nanny State - Kids Cannot Even Play Now

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 9 May 2013 14:26

Officers reportedly reprimanded Lilly Allen, 10, earlier this week, saying the traditional game’s outline she drew on the pavement was akin to criminal damage.

The schoolgirl was said to have been given the warning by two unnamed officers as she played the centuries-old skipping outside her home in Ramsgate, Kent, the Sun reported.

She was issued the warning after making the outlines in white chalk, which washes away in rain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10046236/Police-warned-girl-10-chalk-hopscotch-grid-on-path-was-criminal-damage.html

Cooper

Cooper Report 9 May 2013 14:34

Good grief,

Whatever next. The Estate I grew up on in the 1960s and 70s always had a hopscotch grid chalked on one path or the other. What would the authorites rather happen, Children sat in front of TV or Playstations instead.

Teresa

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 9 May 2013 14:43

Must be a shortage of crime in the Ramsgate area if that is all the police have to do with their time :-|

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 9 May 2013 14:53

My niece lives in Ramsgate I can imagine her colourful language when she reads about this :-D :-D :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 9 May 2013 18:01

one law for them and another for us,

all the tools of their trade, would be offensive weapons if a civilian was to carry them

they can truss you up gassed, handcuffed and more ,

but we would be done for assault if we so much as touched their shoulder, or, even as was on a program the other day looking at them in a funny way,

ie.. quote............dont look at me like that!! dont look at me

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 May 2013 19:55

So, thanks to these two 'crimebusters', there's a child who will grow up thinking the police are a load of bullying idiots

Dermot

Dermot Report 9 May 2013 22:34

Skipping is being considered for inclusion at the next Olympic Games.

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 9 May 2013 23:23

The children at our local First School do lots of skipping, indeed a demonstration to entertain visitors one summer Sports day

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 9 May 2013 23:27

I'm ever ready to believe that this is so....but these un named enforcers make me uncomfortable........they could be anyone pretending to be a person of authority......sorry......but though totally feasible........this doesn't smell entirely right to me.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 May 2013 00:25

'Community Police' perhaps?

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 10 May 2013 01:05

copied from bbc news web page...........
9 May 2013 Last updated at 21:59

.Ramsgate girl's hopscotch grid 'sparked Kent Police warning' Lily-May Allen said the police told her she could not draw on the floor and "kind of scared her"
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories
Playground games get modern twist

Police told a 10-year-old girl drawing a chalk hopscotch grid on the pavement outside her house was criminal damage.

Bob Allen, from Ramsgate, said the officers frightened his daughter, Lily-May Allen, and has lodged a complaint with Kent Police, who are trying to trace them.

He said: "I'm so infuriated that they didn't come and knock on the door and ask to see me or her mum.

"They've just gone and said something to her and then just driven off."

Advice 'not necessary'

He added: "That's not the way for the police to deal with the problem, if there is a problem. And I don't think there is a problem here, so they shouldn't have said anything in the first place."

Lily-May said: "The police came over to me and said you can't draw on the floor because it's criminal damage. It kind of scared me."

Kent Police said they were trying to establish which officers may have spoken to the girl but could not trace any car in the area at the time mentioned.

A police spokesman said: "From the circumstances described, it would not appear to have been necessary to advise the young girl that chalking a hopscotch grid may be criminal damage and illegal."