General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

"Modern Art". What do you think ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 9 May 2013 17:40

What do you think of 'Modern Art' ? Some of the art stuff that sells for thousands of pounds, that even a child could do, or even better, is amazing really! An artist that becomes famous through producing so called 'Modern Art', seems just a money spinner to me, what about you ?

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 9 May 2013 17:54

I remember when I got my first bike it was second hand from an uncle and so in bits
I thoght as I picked up the sports bars and the old leather saddle that put together they looked like a bulls head. Years later I saw picassio had done just the same thing (Bulls head) and it is worth a fortune what a load of "mens bits"!

Mayfield,
Graduate from the art school of tosh.

GHeather

GHeather Report 9 May 2013 17:57

I like it Mayfield, lol. :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 9 May 2013 18:10

They build up an artist, up and up... until he becomes very famous, so they can demand higher and higher prices for his artwork! The artist becomes very rich, and so do the people who bought his artwork at a lower price, cunning!

Tracey

Tracey Report 9 May 2013 18:57

At New York EX-- they had an old Vacume on a pedestal a Toilet seat on the wall
a Garbage can -- and this was called Modern Art--NOW I ASK YOU

Joeva

Joeva Report 9 May 2013 19:31

:-D Tracey

I once saw a step ladder leaning against a wall described as 'art', I thought to myself, I have one like that . Mine must have gained so much value over the years,
because of the many swirls of different coloured paints that I have used doing my
DIY :-D

Jo

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 May 2013 19:51

My nephew's flush broke on his loo, so he took the top off and created a wonderful contraption, consisting of a bungee and a beautifully coloured pole he had lying about.

Do you know - that was more interesting and inventive than any of the Turner stuff - and it had/has(he still hasn't fixed it) a use :-D :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 9 May 2013 20:06

Turner? Modern art?
You can't be serious.

Here is some art which may match your tastes.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=painting+by+numbers&safe=off&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=6fKLUamSMY-UhQePmYC4Dg&sqi=2&ved=0CGEQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=844

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 May 2013 21:29

what do I think of modern art? in a word - c**p :-D :-D

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 9 May 2013 21:41

I DO LIKE SOME MODERN ART I HAVE A
L VALLO,GOT IT FOR £3 IN CHARITY SHOP
VALUED AT £150,
ITS WHITE CANVAS WITH SILVER

GHeather

GHeather Report 10 May 2013 00:12

Thanks/Grazie for the info DIZZI :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 May 2013 00:23

I meant the 'Turner Prize' Rollo :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 10 May 2013 05:33

A few fellas I used to work with were having an afternoon bbq/party, talking about an art competition coming up.

After a few "sherbets" they decided to enter....... they went into the garage, got out all the "boys' toys" and a pile of junk....... then welded, soldered, screwed. hammered & tied it all together. It was HUGE!

They didn't win, but their "work of art" was on display for a week at the exhibition.

Wish I could remember what they called it.

:-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 10 May 2013 09:08

The Turner Prize is not about representational art. Most people would prefer a Jack Vettriano on their wall to any of the Turner Prize shortlist, in so far as the art could be nailed to a wall anyway.

The Turner Prize is based on another art concept which is that of challenging the way people look at, feel about and react to their environment. It has nothing to do with pleasing the Daily Rail, it is about pushing boundaries.

It is impossible to select challenging art without a great deal of the selections being a miss - or maybe all of it some years. One thing is for sure is that if, say, 70%, of people were thrilled with the choices then we would be looking at pop art and not challenging art.

In their time Monet, Beethoven and Turner were all dismissed as incompetent idiots.

As to the 2013 selections they are disappointing and boring because there is a dearth of originality.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/turner-prize/10017600/Turner-Prize-2013-Nothing-that-shocks.html

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 10 May 2013 09:12

I don't like all modern art - but then I don't like all traditional art either.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 11 May 2013 01:50

The old line "I don't know much about art, but I know what I like"

My variation....... "I don't know much about art, but I know what I DON'T like"

I don't like paintings that are too "sharp", they look like photographs...... rather have "fuzzy"

I don't want to look at a mess of coloured blobs and be told it's "Woman reclining on a balcony", when it looks like a mess of beans & spaghetti.

As for "Blue Poles" !!!!!!! I had a rag I used for wiping paintbrushes that was similar.

;-)

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 11 May 2013 07:55

I just wish I had the insight to do all my "wonderful" drawings and put a For Sale notice on them, I'm sure they would be worth a fortune, it' really hard work splodging about (with help from g/children of course)

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 11 May 2013 08:49

Hi GHeather

I enjoy some "modern art" there is one piece I would love....Pig in Red Stilettos, no idea who the artist is, it's in a gallery near where I live...have resisted buying it, thus far !!

I collect early studies and drawings of Robert Heindel (all in black on white)....I wish I could have met him......

Misty x

GHeather

GHeather Report 11 May 2013 10:52

I enjoy art and design. :-)