General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help needed.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 11 May 2013 11:29

I am trying to find my father David J N Buckley also known as David J Neil born March 1930 in Liverpool. Last heard of living in the Northfields area of Birmingham .His wife was called Sheila who I believe died in 1987,they owned a haulage business . Any information would be most welcome , thank you in advance for help . Lorraine Sturmey nee Neil

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 May 2013 11:41

Are you sure of his birth and place as there's no 1930 birth for him as Buckley or Neil

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 May 2013 11:42

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1324444

Please delete this new thread - we realise that it is important for you to find your father, but posting duplicate threads isn't helping anyone.

There *are* suggestions on the other thread - please go back to it and say if you've followed them up or even say that you have and it isn't your father.
Edit - you posted on the orginal thread today at 1143

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 11 May 2013 12:10

I do not regularly go onto other boards, so if this had been placed on any other boards many like me may have not seen it.

Surely it is up to GR to tell anyone they are posting in the wrong place.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 May 2013 12:48

It's the ****duplication of posts**** that's the problem not so much that they are on the 'wrong board'. When the reorganisation of the Boards took place, Phil Moir did say that GR would move threads to the 'correct' board, not that that has happened very frequently

If readers of this thread are happy to spend time repeating searches that have previously make by others, then that is their prerogative.

It's just as well the phantom RRer hasn't spotted this one or else it was likely to have been Reported. ;-)

jax

jax Report 11 May 2013 13:07

Carol

Would you be happy if everyone put up their look up requests on this board aswell then?
Maybe GR ought to do away with the other boards and just have the one as many people do not venture off of this one very often

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 11 May 2013 13:32

I see the board police are on duty... it is this kind of behaviour that puts many of us off posting at all.

This post is not a look up it is a 'poster' put up hoping to find someone who knows her father.

jax

jax Report 11 May 2013 13:52

Why has DET's post been rr'd?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 May 2013 13:56

Who knows? As far as I'm can remember, it was asking Lorraine (using the word 'please') not to post more threads looking for info about her father - or possibly asking if she already had another thread/had she deleted it

jax

jax Report 11 May 2013 14:00

Yes that was more or less what you said....oh well looks like the muppets are around again today then

GenealogyResearchAssistance

GenealogyResearchAssistance Report 11 May 2013 14:37

Carol I must be very thick because I do not see any board police around.

I only see some members giving some very sound advice on how to get the best possible help with a request for help.

If you decide not to venture onto the other boards, that is your prerogative but that also says to me that you have no interest in helping others. So may be this is not the best location for the request. There is no point in others duplicating searches.

I tend to agree with Jax, there is no point in having multiple boards if they are allowed to be a free for all, may as well just have the one.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 May 2013 15:50

Can i just say .as a willing helper . i do find it annoying to spend my time looking up info.which sometimes takes ages because of mistranscriptions etc only to be directed to another thread where the info i have taken yonks looking for has already been found and posted.

I am at parish records for most sides of my and OH tree so I willing spend my time and subs !! trying to help others. I get just as much BINGO moments when info is found that helps as when I found my own family record/s

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 11 May 2013 18:12

TootyFruity

I am now retired, have plenty of time, access to many kinds of records, a car/camera & have traced many of my lines back via Parish Records. I enjoy hunting for the obscure people, visiting local Churchyards, recording epitaphs with my camera & would like to help others.

Twice I have ventured onto the help boards, only to received PM's informing me that I should leave 'those of us who are experienced to answer/help'.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 May 2013 18:32

Carol - it's a great shame that your offers to help on the boards have been rebuffed, even if it was by PM.

Everyone has something to offer, so if the opportunity arises, jump in again and give it a shot!
Although this thread has morphed into other topics, we mustn't lose sight of the original reason .......

Lorraine is trying to find her Dad ;-)

GenealogyResearchAssistance

GenealogyResearchAssistance Report 11 May 2013 22:30

Carol I'm sorry to hear that you have had a rebuff. My advice would be to ignore them, only GR have the right to say who and who cannot help on the boards.

Everyone has something to offer and so if you wish to help, do not be put off by those that may be jealous of what you bring to the table. ;-)