General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WAAF's in WW2

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

chaps

chaps Report 15 May 2013 21:45

Hi, I am trying to find some information on WAAF Heather Campbell Pearson who was killed during the war.

She lived in Newcastle, Down in Ireland .

Is there a website that I can lookup this information? I've tried Ancestry, Family Search.org and Findmypast without any luck.

Many thanks

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 May 2013 23:29

Records for WW2 personnel will still be with the MOD.

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html
They charge £30 and take many months to locate and send copies of any records as their priorities are the current service men and women

You can check if she is named on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site

http://www.cwgc.org/

chaps

chaps Report 16 May 2013 19:53

Thank you for your advice.

I did find a her name on a Roll of Honour at a Church in Newcastle, Down, maybe if I contact them they may hold a bit of information.

Best wishes

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 May 2013 21:39

have you tried googling her name??

it is amazing what you can find via Google

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 17 May 2013 11:19

SENT YOU IMAGE OF THAT MEMORIAL

chaps

chaps Report 17 May 2013 16:14

Thank you Dizzi,

The Roll of Honour is at St John's, Newcastle in Down and Dromore. I contacted the church for more information ie. was she born or married there or is she buried there!! my reply from the Rector was that he would be happy to look it up but, would charge £12.00 an hour!!!

So back to the drawing board.

Thank you for your help

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 17 May 2013 16:43

Try RAFA (Royal Air Force Association)

Belfast Address is

Northern Ireland Office RAFA
21 Talbot St
Belfast
BT1 2LD

if this doesn't work please come back to me as I am ex WRAF and a member of RAFA. :-)

chaps

chaps Report 17 May 2013 16:54

Thank you for your help, I'll contact them for more information.

Kind regards

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 17 May 2013 17:08

Also look to see if there is a British Legion in the area, they might help.

Am also a member, have just gone through my last British Legion Magazine and found some letters to the editor asking for help about similar things to what you want.

e-mail address
[email protected]

Hope you get an answer :-)

chaps

chaps Report 17 May 2013 18:39

Thank you again, I will update this thread with any information I get.

Best wishes

chaps

chaps Report 22 Oct 2015 21:52

Hi again,

I know it's been two years but I have moved home twice!!!

So I'm starting again.

I am still trying to find some information on WAAF Heather Campbell Pearson who was killed in Ireland during WW2. Her name is listed on a Roll of Honour at St John's Church in Newcastle,Co. Down - I have checked with the church and they have no record of her birth or burial there.

I know her maiden name was Gray and she was born in 1914. She married Barclay Andrew Pearson in Kensington in 1944 at 30yrs old. Her father was Lewis Campbell Gray and on the M/C he is listed as a gentleman. One of the witness' to the marriage is a Ingeborg S Gray.

I am having difficulty tracing her birth & death records, so any help would be appreciated.

With all good wishes

Kay????

Kay???? Report 22 Oct 2015 22:14

Well she was born in Scotland below her her birth registration details.it is Gray as opposed to Grey.....

3 1913 GRAY HEATHER CAMPBEL F HILLHEAD GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/12 0335 .

-------------------------------------------

You can read an artical about the engagement in the Britishnewspapers this is just the caption.
------------------------------------------------------------
late Andrew Pearson, Writer •to the Signet, of Johnston, Laurencekirk. and of Mrs Andrew Pearson. His fiancee is Miss Heather Campbell Gray, a Wing Officer in the'W.A.A.F,, whose home Is in County Down.
23 March 1944 - Aberdeen Weekly Journal - Aberdeen, Aberdeensh

Barcaly Andrew Pearson,nephew of of Sir Robert Barclay Pearson.chairman of London Stock Exchange,

Major Barclay Andrew was son of Andrew Pearson,
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Death.

1997 PEARSON BARCLAY ANDREW Not Permissible BOWDEN-SMITH BOWDEN SMITH-BOWDEN SMITH M 85 MUCKHART AND GLENDEVON /PERTH 396/00 0008

Death,
1 1996 PEARSON HEATHER CAMPBEL Not Permissible GRAY ROSS F 83 KINROSS /PERTH AND KINROSS 452/00 0048

So Heather didnt die during her service,,she lived to a grand age of 83........... :-D

chaps

chaps Report 22 Oct 2015 22:36

Thank you so much Kay, that is marvelous, I've been banging my head against a brick wall for weeks.

If I wanted to order her B/C is the 644/12 0335 the number to quote?

Just read the bottom of the post, how wonderful, you don't know what this means to me!!!

Thank you again

Kay????

Kay???? Report 22 Oct 2015 22:45

Yes Chaps......just quote the ref index numbers,,,,,,,,,remember these are in Scotland GRO....... and not England GRO.so you will need Scotlandpeople site..the certificates are £12 each incl PP........

Heather was a Wing Officer based in Co Down in 1944,,,,,,

Barclay Andrews then late father Andrew Pearson was Writer to the Signet of Johnston Lawrence Kirk...

chaps

chaps Report 22 Oct 2015 23:02

I know this will sound silly but, I'm still in shock that you found out everything after I've been trying on and off for over two years.

I'll get on to the scotland people site in the morning and look into the British Newspapers article.

Thank you again

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 22 Oct 2015 23:39

Chaps....If you are still around I have credits left over on Scotlands People...if you want the birth I will send x

Kay????

Kay???? Report 22 Oct 2015 23:54

Sir Roberts daughter Helen had a society wedding in London being married 1936 by the Archbishop of Canterbury no less,,,,,,,,, :-D

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 23 Oct 2015 00:16

I bet that was a posh do Kay :-0 ;-)

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 23 Oct 2015 01:45

Don't know if you have this info

Lewis Campbell Gray married Ingeborg Sanderson Ross 1910 Glasgow

Found this/ Maternal Grandparents

Birth: Jun. 25, 1848
Death: Jan. 29, 1927

Spouse:
John Hogg Ross (1891 - 1917)

In loving memory of John Hogg Ross born 27th August 1850 Died 21st Msy 1917 and of William Fraser Ross his younger son born 10th May 1879 died 4th February 1890 Ingeborg Sanderson his wife born 25th June 1846 died 29th January 1927 Thomas Ross his elder son born 25th December 1878 died 1st September 1958 Anna Susan Graham Roy his elder daughter born 7th May 1876 died 7th March 1963.

Burial:
Glasgow Necropolis
Glasgow
Glasgow City, Scotland

Kay????

Kay???? Report 23 Oct 2015 10:46

Oh they were very well connected Ann

There is a mention of Heathers wedding in Brompton in B-Newspapers but the full details wont load. :-(