General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

IE 10

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 17 May 2013 19:57

I would like some techie comment please. Recently acquired Windows 7 with IE10, and Kaspersky, but have some odd problems.
It won't let me register some sites as favourites - have bookmarked them on Firefox instead. Then when I am trying to buy something or settle a bill on line I get as far as completing the card details, am moved on to the usual security check but am presented with a flyer for Kaspersky from which I can neither move forward or back - even if I click Run. Again I then try Firefox and it all goes smoothly, moved on to Verified by Visa and complete the deal.

It isn't urgent as l can use Firefox, but it is a nuisance as most of my Favourites are listed in IE10 transferred from my previous IE8 - which I was always quite happy with.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 17 May 2013 21:21

What happens when you try to save favourites?

The online payment problem may be down to your settings but difficult to know without more details.

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 17 May 2013 21:34

I get a message from Internet Explorer in a box with a big red X - saying "Unable to create (quoting the web site address from the home page of the site l am using) - Access is denied". I have no trouble accessing the site itself.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 17 May 2013 21:42

Did you import your favourites and are you using different folders within Favourites?

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 17 May 2013 21:49

Our regular guru imported everything for me (and got me the computer after my oldie XP was damaged with some infection beyond repair). My Favourites are in folders, the failures I have had were each to be put in "Shopping". I'll go back to the guru if necessary but thought someone here might show me an easy fix!

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 17 May 2013 21:59

Have you been able to save any favourites at all?

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 17 May 2013 22:20

No. I also tried the other day to add the jigsaw sites suggested on a GR thread, and had the same reaction, put them on Firefox instead.

If there isn't an obvious solution, never mind! I can live with it, and gradually transfer the addresses to Firefox bookmarks as an insurance. I'll ask the guru next time either I or OH have to get one of his expensive visits, he's pretty good although the way new technology floods in these days I don't expect anyone to know everything!

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 17 May 2013 22:28

It is probably a folder ownership problem if they have been imported which can be solved quite easily

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 17 May 2013 22:40

Bear with me and I'll type a step by step guide.

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 17 May 2013 22:43

thanks!

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 17 May 2013 23:09

ok try this and see if it works.

1. Open Favourites by clicking on the Favourites button.

2. Right click on one of your folders.

3. In the menu that opens up click on "Properties" (bottom of list).

4. In the next window that opens, click on the "Security" tab.

5. Click on the "Advanced" button (towards bottom of the window).

6. Click on the "Permissions" tab (left hand tab across top of window).

7. Click on the "Change Permissions..." button.

8. Highlight your user account (the account you usually use to sign in on the computer) by clicking once on it and then click on the "Edit..." button.

9. Make sure there is a tick in the "Allow" box next to "Full Control" by clicking in it.

10. Click "OK" to close each window (should be four times).

You will need to do this for each Favourites folder that you are having issues with.

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 17 May 2013 23:31

I'll try this in the morning now - Many thanks for taking the trouble

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 17 May 2013 23:35

No problem - let me know how you get on

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 18 May 2013 18:12

No luck I'm afraid. Followed your programme, on the Edit page every Allow box was ticked. But then on trying individual addresses they either denied their existence though I could then get to them via Google - or l did get the home page - either case IE refused to register them in Favourites. Oh well, it 's not a disaster, I can navigate to everywhere via Firefox - but will try and get it fixed eventually. Very grateful for your efforts!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 18 May 2013 18:59

Microsoft have introduced a validation feature for sites such that it won't bookmark some sites, especially if the page has Flash content. M$ have decided to blacklist Flash content not on their white list. The same logic can also affect Outlook if you have a recent version.

Big brother is looking after you.