General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WHAT AM I

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 17 May 2013 20:41

WHAT ARE YOU
SCOTTISH ARE SCOTTISH
WELSH ARE WELSH
IRISH ARE IRISH
THEN WHY AINT I ENGLISH
WHY BRITISH
BORN ENGLAND SURLY IM
ENGLISH

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 17 May 2013 20:43

HOSPITAL FORM TODAY

WHITE BRITISH

OH NO I SAID IM ENGLISH
SORRY NO BOX FOR THAT

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 17 May 2013 20:44

i am yorkshire but from viking lines ;-)

Wend

Wend Report 17 May 2013 20:44

Perhaps you're a mongrel Dizzi :-D

Like me - a little bit of this, a little bit of that :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 17 May 2013 20:45

I cross out British and write English. I am born in England and proud of it

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 17 May 2013 21:04

I think of myself as Scottish ( even though I'm about 95% Irish) but want my home country to remain British.

Should Scotland be an independent country? Yes or No.
In answer to this question....
On Sep 18 2014, I will be voting a big, fat ...NO !!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 May 2013 22:00

I usually describe myself as a ........................ mongrel :-D :-D :-D :-D

I was born in England,

all my ancestors that I have found were born in England, despite family stories that we had Irish or Scottish ancestors, or maybe Scottish who moved to Ireland

so I should now say English

BUT the "English" are such a mixed up ancestral line ................... possibly "mongrel" fits us better.

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 17 May 2013 22:14

I'm Welsh, and as Wales is part of the United Kingdom, (and I hope it will always be so) I'm also British.

There is never a separate box to tick for "Welsh" as there isn't usually one for "English"

It just says British in my passport and other documents.

I'm proud to be Welsh, and proud to be British..

I have on occasion when asked to write nationality instead of ticking a box, written British/Welsh.

Tec

GinN

GinN Report 17 May 2013 22:26

I'm British - a mixture of English, Welsh and Irish, but haven't found any Scottish!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 18 May 2013 02:23

Born in England - you are English
Born in Scotland - you are Scottish
Born in Wales - you are Welsh
Born in Northern Ireland - you are Irish
Born in The Republic of Ireland - you are Irish

Born in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland - you are British.

I was born in Scotland, I am an Australian citizen, that makes me a Scozz. :-D

Should I change that to Brozz?

:-D

MargarettawasMargot

MargarettawasMargot Report 18 May 2013 09:11

I'm a proud fourth generation Aussie,of Scottish,English and Irish heritage.

I'm with Dizzi-if I say I'm of British heritage,it's not as interesting and doesn't say whereabouts in the UK that your ancestors come from.

Margot

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 18 May 2013 09:21

I disagree with you there Scozz,

My father was born in India he wasn't Indian he was born to English parents.
Our very own John was born in England and his mum was Welsh he classes himself as Welsh.
I have a dear friend who was born in England to irish parents and as a baby took back to Ireland grew up there, she considers her self irish.

If I can quote our very own Marion in Scotland Mother, " The cat can give birth in the oven doesnt make the kittens cookies " :-D

BarneyKent

BarneyKent Report 18 May 2013 09:42

Back to 1641 on Dad's side and 1678 on Mum's. No Scots, No Welsh, No Irish, No continental or other foreign ancestry.

I AM ENGLISH through and through - and very very proud of the fact.

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 18 May 2013 10:05

Morning Dizzi my little Chickadee, :-D are you having an Identity Crisis my lovely?

How do you differentiate Nationality? as opposed to Heritage?

Harry Webb (Cliff Richard) was born in "British India" does that make him an Indian?

Perhaps questionnaires should should just put on them: "Country of birth". and leave an empty box for you to fill in.

Shouldn`t worry to much about it Dizzi sweetie, just go with what you feel comfortable with.

Me: Born in England, but quite happy to be referred to as British because without all the countries that make up the "British Isles" our grandchildren would probably all be speaking German by now. he,he. :-D

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 18 May 2013 10:21

My father's side of the family originated from Ireland, my mother's side originated from Scotland and I was born and raised in Scotland.

I also cross out British and write Scottish. I was born and raised in Scotland, I am Scottish and proud of it, alas I now live in a foreign land - England ;-)

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 18 May 2013 10:46

OFTG, In case it had escaped your notice, we are all living on the same little Island. :-D

Foreign land indeed :-D :-D :-D

BarneyKent

BarneyKent Report 18 May 2013 12:13

I don't understand how you can say, " ALAS, I now live in a foreign land".

All you have to do is get in your car and head north up the motorway. If you don't have a car you get on a train to Glasgow or Edinburgh. Your problem is then solved, you are in the land of your birth and we have one less whingeing Scot living in England.

Everyone will be happy !

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 May 2013 12:21

Like Staffy, I've traced my lot(apart from the unknown father of my dad) back to the 17th century.
All English. I'll clarify that, one side 100% CORNISH.
My brothers were born in Malta (dad in the services). Thatcher then classed them a 'aliens', younger brother's passport expired in the 1980's - he had to jump through an awful lot of hoops to get a new one. He's not let it run out since :-0

GRMarilyn

GRMarilyn Report 18 May 2013 12:33

Government made me British......cause they gave me a British Passport !!

I'm Cornish.... then became a Devon Maid :-D

But I do refer myself as British abroad.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 May 2013 12:34

When you are aboard, the 'natives' assume you are English ;-)

Its a bit annoying when people can say that they are Scottish, Welsh, or Irish and be proud of it, but if you say you are English, you can feel embarrased.