General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Eurovision...

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 18 May 2013 12:02

Some people find Eurovision a bit naff, but I always give it a watch, what about you ? What do you think of Bonnie Tyler's song ? Any thoughts/views about Eurovision... please share, thanks.

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 18 May 2013 12:09

well i think eurovision is total rubbish, however, its an excuse to PARTY ;-)

and thats what were doing, havng a eurovision party, altho we probably will only watch the results,

and i find bonnies song runnish! lol,

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 18 May 2013 12:11

We watched both semi finals on Tues and Thurs of this week.
It is totally Naff but it's the best laugh of the yea,r and will be having a wee family Eurovision party tonight!

My new favourite is Greece, their kilts and drums, and their mad cap song:
Alcohol Is Free!
2nd fav is Denmark.
Finnish entry lyrics are sooo blooming annoying , and has had quite a backlash from the feminists ... yet I am still singing it in my head... Ding Dong.

BarneyKent

BarneyKent Report 18 May 2013 12:21

There was a link on here yesterday about a request for some paint. I could do with some myself.

If I had to choose between watching Eurovision, Formula One, Golf, Morning Television, Soaps or Paint Dry, I would be watching the paint.

I don't know, maybe I would sit in the garden and watch the grass grow.

GHeather

GHeather Report 18 May 2013 12:27

It's great to see what each country singers wear, and how they act, even if the song is rubbish, a right laugh! Greece/Norway etc... with give top marks to... we ALL know! Happens every year...! They should change the way the voting is done!

GHeather

GHeather Report 18 May 2013 12:29

I don't think Bonnie Tyler's song will do very well, I maybe wrong. Best Wishes to her anyway! :-D ;-) <3

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 May 2013 12:32

Might flip over when the results start coming in, to see if the UK has nil point! Apart from that, we'll try and find something else to watch.

There are too many political votings now a days, and most of the songs are formulaic - we'll give the performances a miss.

GHeather

GHeather Report 18 May 2013 14:39

Very good points DetEcTive, very true!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 18 May 2013 15:11

Eurovision is a but like the 1970s it is so naff that it has gone into warp drive and become watchable. You'd be surprised at some of the media names who watch it avidly. Being too sophisticated to watch it is, well, naff.

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 18 May 2013 16:23

I know I should rise above it....but every year I watch only the scores coming in (never the singing)...and I swear and curse at the same countries voting the same way year in year out.........maybe this y ear i'll preserve my blood pressure and steer well clear lol

GHeather

GHeather Report 18 May 2013 16:50

I always watch it, I actually enjoy it, shock horror! lol No, it's only a bit of light hearted fun! :-)

GHeather

GHeather Report 18 May 2013 16:59

BrianW, I'm not too bothered about the voting, but yes, your probably right! :-)

GHeather

GHeather Report 18 May 2013 17:00

What do we need to do to get a winner again ? Or perhaps you think it's not possible anymore... ?

GinN

GinN Report 18 May 2013 17:01

It's naff, it's biased, it's a cheesy extravaganza, the voting really annoys me, but I wouldn't miss it for the world!
I don't think Bonnie's song will do very well, but at least it's better than last years offering.
Good luck, Britain! :-D :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 18 May 2013 17:03

What was the best Eurovision song ? One by Abba perhaps? Also, what was our best song ?

Joeva

Joeva Report 18 May 2013 18:03

Goes without saying that the winning Abba song Waterloo has stayed the course.

For me the best UK winner was Katrina and the Waves - Love shine a Light. 1997

Also Sandy Shaw with Puppet on a String. 1967

Yes I did look up the dates! Unbelievable 46 years years ago and even I can remember the words of Sandy's winning song. :-D

Edited , should have said 46 and not 30 years :-) My memory might be good but not my maths !

GinN

GinN Report 18 May 2013 18:24

I've always liked the Italian entry "Volare" (not it's proper name, I know), from years ago. It wasn't the winner, but has become a bit of a classic.

Joeva

Joeva Report 18 May 2013 18:46

@ GeordieinNorfolk

That is a classic and it is as you said Volare written in 1958 - yep! looked up the date again. :-D

The song and melody are timeless. Thanks for the memory :-D

Jo

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 18 May 2013 18:49

Brian W....'is that Irish idiot still presenting it?'......No it's a completely different Irish eejit :-D

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 18 May 2013 18:55

Oh gawd please tell me it's not on tonight :-0