General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cars

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 18 May 2013 17:33

There are several headings I could have given this but

Cars
I have a new car ...not just a new car to me but a brand new car, and not just a brand new car to me but a brand new car to the market.

Eckky thump I ain´t bragging, but I am a bit proud.

But we have just bought a BMax (dive through it) 1lt eco boost titanium with all the gadgets WOWWWWEEEE

I am sad that our 27yr old Nova had to be euthanized but it had been trying to tell us it was time.
I am amazed at what this new car has, even more so as it is not what we going to buy which was the zedec but this car has all the paid for gadgets in it.
and because we accepted a zero mileage show car (it was plated 6 months ago) we have lost 6months warranty but gained more extras than we would have paid for and paid less than the car we could afford.
Happy Driving ....I might have to dig my license out as this car doesn´t even allow you to wander off the road ! :-D

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 18 May 2013 17:44

57.7 mpg. Top Speed 117mph. 0-60 11.2 sec, 7 airbags. Top Gear says "eco boost and titanium trim. Sweet"

How many weeks before you stop kissing it and wiping its gleaming body gently with your hankie, Uzzi?

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 18 May 2013 18:07

John I haven´t kissed it once nor will I ever do ...a car is a tool, not a part of manhood, and the reason we chose the Bmax was because of the lack of central pillar, it makes getting Mother in and out of the car easier, it also gives good boot space to take her wheelchair.
Yes I am excited that I have a new car, but given what it has and will cost us I have no desire to kiss it. I would rather have had a Polo ! but it is exciting to have a new car and it is nice with all its extras :-D especially as they are for nothing ;-)

But both me and OH plus many others loved our old Nova ...a drivers car.

So yes I am excited that I have a new car (never had one before) I am not going to wrap it up in cotton wool ...any way it´s hubby who has instructions that it is cleaned each week etc :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 18 May 2013 21:58

I have a 2003 picasso with an inferiority complex, it sincerely thinks its a car, but I think its a van........who is right?

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 19 May 2013 06:46

Thank heavens you aren't like our neighbour Uzzi, who worships his tin cans on wheels and makes everyone's life a misery. He is divorced, in his 40s, a bin man and has a daughter he hardly sees. His girlfriend is a receptionist at the local doctors and a more miserable mare I have yet to see, she doesn't speak to many people here and o.h. and the neighbour have fallen out over her and his dogs that he leaves alone for hours to bark and bark.

He has a big Discovery truck, the latest one is white and is cleaned to within an inch of it's life every week. His father visits to help him clean it, he is car mad and has several old cars that he takes to shows and such, altho his main car is more modern. The neighbour also has a Subaru, with spoilers on and so noisy you can hear him coming a mile away. He had a royal blue one but he now has a black one. Recently a silver sportscar - convertible - has arrived on the scene as well. He only has a single garage and so the truck is always parked on the road outside, partly across our window and only 6 feet from the window as there are no front gardens here, just a little bit of lawn and flowerbed under the window.
Yesterday all the cars plus his dad's were on the street being washed, one was parked across his neighbour's drive which is shared with him (no fence between) and another was outside our house nearly up to the front door. If we had visitors they wouldn't have been able to park near us and if I had wanted to go out at the time, I would have struggled to back the car off the drive and round as it's a small cul-de-sac and we are at the end. Selfish is not the word for him! Can't write what is or I would get rrd.

Do start driving again Uzzi, it will open up all sorts of things for you. Let me know when you start doing the diving shows lol

Lizxx

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 19 May 2013 07:38

lol @Liz I doubt I will drive again although I have to admit this car is a temptation, but alas the other people on the road are a deterrent, as for the diving shows well we will wait until you get out here !
I have to own up that I love old cars and if I had a classic car that did the shows only I probably would look after it like a child, wipe it´s ..nose clean it´s b*m and put it in the padded play pen. but a main car is just that, a car and we chose the Bmax for its abilities. Mainly no central pillar but it has a good engine and is versatile. The fact that it is brand new means that it shouldn´t decide to stop half way to where we are going and make you wait half hour before it starts again !

Bob what a question I think you have to talk to your Picasso and solve the inferiority problem. As to who is right you maybe but in the end the car has the last say. :-D Do you really want to convince it that is a butch I can do what I want van, or would you rather have have a yes m´lord I can take that load car ?

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 May 2013 07:53

I never thought I would ever have a new car.Didn't even want to own one, particularly as I had always said that you lost several hundred pounds on one as soon as you drove it off the forecourt.

I had always been a bit intrigued by Smarts,high mpg,low road fund,little tyres,but thought that OH and I would not fit on one anyway but it was good to dream.

Then along came scrappage and Freds old Fiesta with the rubbish carburretor that nobody could get right and the rusty body and the rest is history.

What a shame the design of the new car makes it easier for you to get your mother in. Maybe,if you don't tell her, she won't ever know. Try wedging a bit of wood in the space.

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 19 May 2013 08:38

lol @ Sharron

Luckily because the car is a zero mileage car we will not lose the on road cost or more to the point it already had lost that in the price to us. The car was plated 6mths ago so it isn´t an off the production line. It was a show car and therefore had all the gadgets and gismos that they put in their top of range (titanium) cars.
Mother will not realise that this car is perfect for us because of her, she won´t even realise that it is ours and not a hire car for a while.
We looked at te smart cars and T would have loved one if we didn´t have mother and a wheelchair.
Still the Bmax ecoboost suits all our needs and even though it was more expensive than any other car we would have wanted, it will pay back in kind.

I did notice this morning that a bird has left it's calling card on the bonnet and NO I haven't rushed out to clean it ... :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 May 2013 08:49

I would have thought that mother and her wheelchair were perfect reasons for buying a Smart.

There are things that even I would not take in my car!

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 19 May 2013 08:59

Sharron. I love looking at cars. My OH and son have rather nice and quick ones. I have a 12 year old Smart and have had it for over 6 years now. And I plan to change it later this year for a brand new...........

Yes, another Smart. It will be a Passion 71bhp. Because Passion is well loaded and 71bhp is absolutely plenty for me. I keep up with traffic on motorway at 70mph quite easily and it is the roomiest and most comfortable 2 seater I have seen :-D :-D

And you can park sideways to other vehicles, so can get in a tiny parking space. :-)

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 19 May 2013 11:29

I would love to be able to buy a new car and then when presented with the list of "extras" just tick the lot!
It is so infuriating when you buy a Titanium model to find something missing.

We bought a C-max, the archetypal family car, after spending an hour crawling around the foot well looking for the switch to turn off the front airbag to put the plague monkey's (sorry grandson's) seat in, I rang a Ford dealer.
Oh sorry that's an extra! In a family car, that can you believe that :-S

Mayfield :-(

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 19 May 2013 13:06

Mayfield ...so that is the switch on the dash that says passenger air bag. !!!
The only thing missing on this is the GPS system ,,, and it isn´t something we wanted anyway as we/he prefers playing with Tom. tom Well with 15mins look about I think it is missing.

We didn´t tick anything this car just came with the lot because it is/was a "show" car.
It does come with things OH wanted but couldn´t have on the zedec ie keyless start, It also comes with what OH didn´t want as in it is RED and he wanted black so sad for him .. :-(
I can believe that all manufactures say it´s an extra in a family car as that is how they make the money.

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 19 May 2013 17:04

I like red cars my colour of choice and not metallic if possible, shame the C-max my wife drives is boring silver, my little Renault “Lucy” ( because her parcel shelf has loose elastic) is red, bottom of the range and believe it or not has an air bag switch thrown in for free!
Worst colour I ever had, was a mini that I sprayed in Ford Daytona Yellow, looked very sexy with it's satin black bonnet. Trouble was every aphid for miles was attracted to it, I felt like I was driving a flypaper in the summer months!

Mayfield :-D

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 19 May 2013 18:53

I note the BMax has an ejection seat that shoots the driver and the front seat passenger through the roof in an emergency. Button for that is in the rear on the right hand side of the rear seat. No problems as long as no loose fingers in back of car looking for buttons to press ;-)

It is great to spend 15 minutes playing with all the gizmos. The one I hate is the alarm. I can never work out why they start or how to switch the blessed thing off. I assume they are set in the factory to go off at 4am every few nights. :-( :-(

Robert

Robert Report 19 May 2013 19:37

I have an 11 year old Skoda Fabia with 83000 on the clock and is still going well.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 19 May 2013 22:53

yeah Uzzi

I often find that somehow its suddently cluttered up with tools or bits n pieces, which is fine as far as I am concerned, but when Er indoors wants taking somewhere, I have to do the gentleman thing and evict all the illegal bits n bobs to make it fit for my Princess to ride in........

Bob
ps 10 years old this year and only 72 k on the clock!

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 20 May 2013 05:42

John, what have you said? Now Uzzi will have to put her mother in the front seat next to her hubby and hope hubby can wear a crash hat without anyone noticing when he is driving! Uzzi, get out the back of that car, I know you are looking for that button lol

Lizxx

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 20 May 2013 09:17

lol @Liz ..I didn´t rush out to look for the button.......but I did grab the manual to have a read !

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 20 May 2013 10:54

:-D :-D :-D The button is just under the floor mat where seat meets the floor.

Top Gear suggests you open sun roof and depress button once to eject both front seats. Then you and passenger can relax because the rear seats do not eject at all (design fault?). You both can sit on edge of rear seats and stretch out your legs and arms into the huge expanse before you. Passengers can be put in boot.

Thank goodness for automatic, cruise control etc - all the driver needs to do is steer. And you can hook the steering wheel round with an umbrella or walking stick.

More complicated that a Nova - but so much more exciting :-D :-D