General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Put Pen To Papyrus.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dermot

Dermot Report 27 May 2013 19:52

When was the last time you wrote a letter? I mean, an actual, honest-to-goodness handwritten letter in an envelope with a postage stamp & not just a quick email or text.

And when was the last time you received one in the post? The chances are, if you're anything like me, you probably can't even remember when & have no idea what your local postman looks like.

Mersey

Mersey Report 27 May 2013 19:57

I love writing letters, I love handwriting, I sent a letter a few days ago and I am always sending handwritten cards all the time........

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 27 May 2013 19:57

I received the most wonderful one just only the other day actually.

Mersey

Mersey Report 27 May 2013 20:01

OMG !! please note my letter was not sent to Errol pmsl !!!

Errol you make me larfffff :-D ;-)

SheilaWestWilts

SheilaWestWilts Report 27 May 2013 20:01

I sent one in February - and wish I hadn't bothered :-S

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 27 May 2013 20:04

sent 2 last week!!

GinN

GinN Report 27 May 2013 20:06

I got a lovely letter from a cousin when my Dad died. He is a proper gentleman, and always sends letters when it's appropriate. Electronic stuff is not for him!
I wrote to an elderly aunt recently, as she's been in hospital, and I wanted to cheer her up.
It's usually older people who stick to letter writing, isn't it. Definitely a dying art, but when you receive a proper letter, it means so much more than an Email.
As for the postman, we rarely seem to see the same one twice! We had a lovely post lady called Elsie until about 6 years ago - she was our village treasure! Then our post office and shop closed, and everything changed.

Mersey

Mersey Report 27 May 2013 20:10

~~~~~ Wendawoowoo ;-) <3

Brenda from Wales

Brenda from Wales Report 27 May 2013 21:42

Sent one with a cheque to my solicitor last week!!!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 May 2013 21:45

last letter I sent was to Jean when she was in hospital after her leg amputation but it was typewritten

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 27 May 2013 21:56

I have a 97 year old aunt, my oldest and last surviving relative of the previous generation.
She writes to me about four times a year, and has the most beautiful hand writing, a real credit to her, especially at her age.
I always reply with a hand written letter, but notice that through lack of practice my own hand writing has deteriorated.

Tec

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 27 May 2013 22:10

I sent two today - first time for months. And my writing is appalling. It has always been a bit like a prescription, but has got even worse. I honestly struggled to read them myself :-D :-D

jax

jax Report 27 May 2013 22:13

I would love to send a letter or even a birthday card that does'nt look like it was written by a 4 year old....so will stick to Moonpig now :-(

GinN

GinN Report 27 May 2013 22:14

Mm, my handwriting is terrible, too. My 95 year old MIL puts me to shame - hers is like copperplate!

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 27 May 2013 22:22

Mersey. We all seem pretty hopeless. Is yours really good? How do you have nice writing? Natural, or do you have to work at it?

Wend

Wend Report 27 May 2013 22:42

I received a card from Mersey recently and she has the most beautiful handwriting I have ever seen <3

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 27 May 2013 22:45

I write letters quite often, although I'm not sure they are always readable!

The most recent one I received was a thank you letter from my teenage granddaughter - and apparantly written without prompting, according to her mother.

kandj

kandj Report 27 May 2013 22:48

Like Mersey I actually enjoy writing letters and cards. I send them most days and often receive replies too. I keep the postmen busy and the ones that come are usually happy to take my mail and save me having to walk into the village to post them myself.

I must agree with GeordieninNorfolk that it is usually the older folk who write letters and I certainly fit that description, although I try to be young at heart, most of the time!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 28 May 2013 02:50

I think the last letters I wrote was over 12 years ago, when we were living overseas.

Letters to my mother, who wrote volumes to me!

I can't remember the last time I received a letter (other than those from my mother).

I must admit, I "wrote" mine on the computer, and printed them on flimsy paper because of the cost of postage :-)

I send cards frequently, to family & friends.

Our postman recently retired, don't know the new one yet. The retired one is quite a character......we'd often see him on his post office motor bike, unbuttoned hawaiian shirt blowing in the breeze :-D

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 28 May 2013 08:41

I write letters to put in with Christmas cards to people I rarely see. Like Mersey I like nice hand writing and I write in italics I was taught at school to write this way.