General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hands up if you dare

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 5 Jun 2013 07:11

The news this morning - Anti-social roadhogs to face £100 fines: Crackdown on motorway drivers who clog up the middle lane

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2335986/Roadhogs-face-100-fines-Crackdown-motorway-drivers-clog-middle-lane.html

Tailgating a new word for me..................

Dermot

Dermot Report 5 Jun 2013 07:30

Those slow motorists who drive too close in front of me should be fined too.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Jun 2013 08:41

Tailgating is sometimes the result of a driver hogging the middle lane/ over taking lane; the two can go hand in hand!
Both can cause accidents
- when some one (illegally) undertakes the hogger
- if the vehicle being tailgated has to brake.

Some of the middle/overtaking lane hoggers are travelling at the speed limit and feel that it is their right to impose that on drivers who are happy to take the consequencies for going faster. No - that's why we have speed cameras and police.

We had such a combination the other day - OH was told off by the back-seat driver ( :-D) for tailgating a 70mph vehicle. He said that he also had a car up his rear bumper. He ended up 'undertaking' as did the person behind him and several other cars.

terryj

terryj Report 5 Jun 2013 09:25

i will believe it when i see it
pet hate is people toddling along the middle lane of the motorway
also hate people who drive along the outside lane of a duel carriageway because they will be turning right in a few miles time

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 5 Jun 2013 09:34

Undertaking is dangerous (and illegal in this country). What if the slower person, who is driving at the speed limit, is driven in by the tailgating person behind and then collides with the person undertaking?

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 5 Jun 2013 09:36

If the police had been doing their job for the last 20 plus years in the first place their would be no need for a Crackdown,

They have consistently put the blame for the accidents deaths and casualty rates on any thing and everything from speeding to mobile use but it's their inaction that's led to the amount of accidents, Had they enforced the laws throughout then I doubt these bad habits would have got out of control in the first place.

Roy

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Jun 2013 09:40

Couldn't agree more AnninG - but undertaking is what can happen if someone isn't/won't move over if its safe to do so. If they were more aware of their surroundings and other roads users, the hyperthetical situation wouldn't happen.

Under the proposed legislation, *all* parties would be at fault.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 5 Jun 2013 09:54

I often see undertaking and had no idea it was illegal unless dangerous. Just checked Highway Code:

"The Highway Code discourages undertaking on motorways with some exceptions (rule 268): "Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake". Undertaking is permitted in congested conditions when frequent lane changing is not recommended.[4] On other roads, the Code advises drivers "should only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right" (rule 163).[5] Rule 163 uses advisory wording and "will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted", but may be used in evidence to establishing liability in any court proceedings.[6] On all roads, undertaking is permitted if the vehicles in the lane to the right are queueing and slow moving. Undertaking in an aggressive or reckless manner could be considered Careless Driving or more seriously Dangerous Driving, both of which are legally enforceable offences."

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 5 Jun 2013 09:58

Things like mobile phone and not wearing seat belts are fair enough. £100 automatic instead of £60. Keep police Christmas parties swinging and swell taxes charged to motorists who stray from rules.

But what about the worst crime of all whilst driving - smoking. Often see someone driving fast with children in car, smoking and chatting to her friends on phone. :-( :-(

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 5 Jun 2013 10:01

you had no idea undertaking was illegal? FGS - how long have you been driving?

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 5 Jun 2013 10:14

It is definitely not illegal. Nor has it ever been illegal, AnnC.

That was my whole point in quoting Highway Code. It happens every day on every motorway. Totally legally. And on A470 going into Cardiff. Totally legal.

Passed test Oct 9th 1963 :-) :-)

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 5 Jun 2013 10:18

Should also consider prosecuting stupid pedestrians who walk out in front of cars expecting you to stop immediately. Twice yesterday I nearly had 2 new hood ornaments.

And do not get me started on eco warrior cyclists .......

:-D :-D :-D

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 5 Jun 2013 10:20

And those who tailgate me when the BUS in front cannot go any faster ...... grrr

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 5 Jun 2013 10:22

United Kingdom - The Highway Code discourages undertaking on motorways with some exceptions (rule 268): "Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake". Undertaking is permitted in congested conditions when frequent lane changing is not recommended.[4] On other roads, the Code advises drivers "should only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right" (rule 163).[5] Rule 163 uses advisory wording and "will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted", but may be used in evidence to establishing liability in any court proceedings.[6] On all roads, undertaking is permitted if the vehicles in the lane to the right are queueing and slow moving. Undertaking in an aggressive or reckless manner could be considered Careless Driving or more seriously Dangerous Driving, both of which are legally enforceable offences.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 5 Jun 2013 10:25

:-D :-D @ PP

One thing not many realise is that the Highway Code was designed as a code, not as legislation. It was originally designed as a set of manners for people to move forward steadily and enjoy their driving experience.

Whether you had your whip in your left hand or right hand only became an issue following an accident. If one driver had not followed the code and the other had, that may be used in evidence.

Not any sort of legal expert but that is my understanding of the purpose of our Highway Code

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 5 Jun 2013 10:26

Whilts undertaking is permitted, anyone undertaking just to 'overtake' a car which is travelling at the speed limit, if spotted by the police will be stopped and either cautioned or given a ticket.

Happens all the time in London. I drive (at 4.30 am) at around 35-40 mph and am always being either tailgated by another driver, when the large vehicle in front stops me from going any faster. Or I am undertaken by the same eejit.

At this time of the morning you tend to see the same cars daily, and I am always amused by those going either to or from work with their SatNavs on, fogotten where you work or live overnight!!!!!

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 5 Jun 2013 10:28

One reason people do stay in the middle lane is people driving very slowly in the LH lane, on a busy motorway it’s difficult and dangerous to keep moving into the centre lane to overtake.
The worst motorway is the M25 where instead of being used by people travelling long distances at a fairly constant speed it’s used as a local bypass by residents who join it for a few miles to get to school, local supermarket etc.
Quite understandable and the only practical thing to do but it means the LH lane has an almost constant stream of vehicles slowing to leave and trying to join, constantly balking those who try to stay in the “slow” lane.
After a while of finding at each junction you are moving to the middle lane to avoid joining traffic, you just give up and stay there! Not a problem in my view as long as conditions permitting you are at, or near the legal limit.

Mayfield.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 5 Jun 2013 10:31

So what bit of that c and p'd piece do you not follow, AnnC? Are you going to the A470 now to watch people undertaking and report them for careless or dangerous driving.

You will have a busy day. You might even catch me in a few minutes :-) :-) I tend to drive in inside lane and frequently find my lane is overtaking those to my right. Often the quickest and safest lane when road is congested. Just have to be aware some silly so and sos can change lane without signal or warning (which is very careless).

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 5 Jun 2013 10:32

I shouted at a young women who was texting as she was driving along side of me. The gesture and language she shouted back at me left me with my mouth agape. I think texting whilst driving should also be included in the increase in fines.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Jun 2013 10:32

Sticking to the middle or outer lane(2 lanes) is fine if there are 3 lanes, or heavy traffic on the inside one. How ever, if the nearside lane is clear, then the slower driver should move over!