General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Warning of Scam to ALL SKY Customers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 5 Jun 2013 12:34

I have just received an email supposedly SKY. It warned that my card (did not specify) had been suspended and I needed to contact via attachment within 24 hours to reinstate my account.

Now I was on the phone, using my email and the telly was on in the other room.

I contacted Sky who confirmed that it was not from them (it was a Gmail account) and that all Sky messages are from BSKYB.

And at the bottom of the email it had the copyright logo and Sky.com.

I also contacted my bank (I had been online earlier this morning) who confimed that there have been no suspicious activitiy.

So if you do get an Email from SKY, like this it will be a very short email with an attachment DO NOT open just delete. They are after your baning details.

Normally all these type of scams go straight into my spam, so I was a bit wary as this did not.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 5 Jun 2013 12:50

Never open any attachments unless you are absolutely certain that they are genuine.
Similarly, don't open emails you are unsure of because if they are spam it only serves to confirm your email address (at best).

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 5 Jun 2013 13:07

We have had phone calls about this, and SKY have confirmed it was not them, so we put the phone down now.
Liz

jax

jax Report 5 Jun 2013 13:47

I don't think Sky has my email address, I am sure there is another one they gave me which I never look at

I seem to remember when I had Virgin they gave me an email address with "blueyonder" in the title which they sent emails to.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 5 Jun 2013 15:16

Every year when my Sky repair plan comes up for renewal I am bombarded with calls from some company that wants to take over my contract.

I ask are you Sky - well no, but we represent them - So you are not calling from Scotland. I do not wish to change my contract go away, but a lot more blue after about the fifth call in as many days!