General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Juicers.....I hate them!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 6 Jun 2013 00:05

Last time I had the beetroot ..........thought there was something wrong with me as you know what had gone a bright red when going to the loo :-0
ps meant to say peach sounds good ...going to try this

GinN

GinN Report 5 Jun 2013 22:16

Elizabeth mentioned breadmakers - now there's a gadget I love. Bought a Panasonic one a couple of weeks ago, and now we no longer bother to buy bread, it's great! Only trouble is, I'll have to watch how much I eat!
:-D

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 5 Jun 2013 21:30

mmmmm....the peach and ginger one sounds up my street, Elizabeth. Think I will skip the raw beetroot though! :-D <3

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 5 Jun 2013 21:14

Dear Nolls

Hello

Hope you are okay.

Well, I did make one using uncooked, raw beetroot and wow,
did I need to go to the little persons room!!

For a treat, peach, raw ginger and lime is great. :-)

Adding lime preserves the juice drink and is gentler on the stomach
than adding lemon.

Take gentle care
Best wishes to you
EOS
xx

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 5 Jun 2013 21:08

Like the sound of the carrot apple lime and ginger Elizabeth anyone else got any more ideas....That's if Buttercups doesn't mind >

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 5 Jun 2013 21:05

Dear Buttercup

Hello

Hope you are okay.

I have brought two juicers.

The first conked out and the second was so fiddly to use, I gave up.

When I did do some juices, I made a lovely carrot and apple one
with some ginger and lime added.

Delicious when diluted with spring water.

I remember reading in a newspaper that over £9 million was spent on
kitchen gadgets that never even get used.

The manufacturers should make them user and person-friendly!

The one thing I do use a lot is my little hand mixer with dough attachments
for bread-making.

Take gentle care
Best wishes to you
EOS
xx

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 5 Jun 2013 17:18

I have a steel gadget bought a long time ago by my granny. Cut orange in half, place in receptacle and pull down lever. Repeat 2 or 3 times and voila! fresh OJ. These devices are still on sale and need no plugging in.
Quick and much cheaper than Innocenti.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Juice-Presser-manual-good-condition-/230991319714?pt=UK_HGKitchen_SmallApp_RL&hash=item35c827d2a2

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 5 Jun 2013 17:10

Wish I had known that, Ann, before I bought this monstrosity :-D

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 5 Jun 2013 17:08

Awww Geordie I feel your pain...but it was all the sugar in the fruits wot done it. I was hoping to juice...kale, spinach, coriander, ginger stuff Will give the blender a bash and see how I go. I hate too many gadgets in my kitchen, anyway, and this bleddy thing is taking over :-D :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 5 Jun 2013 17:07

You do have to watch that, if juicing fruit you don't take in too much sugar. As Geordie says. :-) I would use my liquidiser if I wanted to juice.

GinN

GinN Report 5 Jun 2013 16:55

BC, I think I have the same juicer as you, and , yes it's now in a forgotten cupboard. I thought it would be a good way to use up all those bits of fruit and veg, and to loose weight in a healthy way. I nearly lived on the stuff for 2 months.
When I went for my diabetes 2 check, my blood sugars had soared - due to all the juice!
And, yes, itis a b****r ro clean! :-|

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 5 Jun 2013 16:19

*slaps head....well thanks folks, why didn't I think of that. I use my blender for soups etc....soooooooo no takers, eh? :-D :-D

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 5 Jun 2013 15:12

I was going to suggest a hand held blender a lot less fiddly

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 5 Jun 2013 15:07

I use an old fashioned juicer thing - the type where you grind (there must be a better word!!) your half citrus fruit. I also use a hand blender for fruits - it does well with apples and pears etc as well as the soft fruits. It will work with things like cucumber, haven't tried with carrots - I just eat them lol. I prefer to eat the fruit as well, but sometimes have too much left so mix up a smoothie :-D

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 5 Jun 2013 15:05

I too have bought juicers galore ... and been handed on ... but have now ended up using my liquidiser much easier to clean :-S

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 5 Jun 2013 14:48

Merlin...I like them fresh, like my men :-D

Merlin

Merlin Report 5 Jun 2013 14:36

Why not just buy the Juice in a Bottle or Carton. Saves buying the Juicer and the hassle. :-D :-D

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 5 Jun 2013 14:17

I have once more succumbed to buying another juicer to add to my efforts for a healthier lifestyle (the other ones ended up in back of cupboard and were eventually handed on).

This one had good reviews, good price, and easy cleaning...*bitter laugh....it took me half an hour to clean all the fiddly bits and I haven't used it for a week. It is sitting there, looking cumbersome and reproving.

Anyone want an almost new juicer, easy cleaning, pretty appearance, black and chrome. Buyer must collect :-D :-D :-D