General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

computer giving problems

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

wisechild

wisechild Report 5 Jun 2013 14:40

Just had my 1st phone call from a withheld number, telling me that a computer company is detecting errors every time I connect to the internet.
You don´t meet many Indians called Michael Jones do you?
Although I suppose it´s not impossible.
What I want to know is, why are they so concerned about my problems? (I.m not aware that I have any ;-)

jax

jax Report 5 Jun 2013 14:42

Especially when you don't have a computer either :-D

BarneyKent

BarneyKent Report 5 Jun 2013 14:52

This is a long running scam. They are after your bank/card details.

You can do one of two things:

1. Put the phone down without saying anything.

2. Say "Fornicate in the direction of off."

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 5 Jun 2013 15:02

SLAM the phone down ...it's a scam :-| Have heard if you press the hash key quickly while your on the phone it knocks you out of the system....have tried it but no idea if it works lol! :-S

wisechild

wisechild Report 5 Jun 2013 15:21

Luckily I knew it was a scam.
Several friends in England have warned me about it, but this is the 1st time I have come across it in Spain.
Oddly enough I had a 2nd "dodgy" call a couple of hours later supposedly from Orange.
Might have been genuine....might not, but as he was gabbling away 20 to the dozen in Spanish I just said I didn´t understand him & put the phone down. I´m not an Orange customer, so wasn´t really interested in what he had to say anyway.

martynsue

martynsue Report 5 Jun 2013 16:08

I had the same as you wisechild,
they said I had error's on my computer,when I said I didn't care he got quite angry,
he was trying to get detail's about my number's on my computer,had I have given him them he could have got any detail's I had on there,including card number's that are held by secure companies,
he said he was from Microsoft,just do not give info to anyone who tries to get any info off you.

oh yes ,he was also from india,mine was called dave?