General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

D-Day the 6th of June 1944...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnotherCanuck

AnotherCanuck Report 6 Jun 2013 16:39

My late father in law...a Sgt in the Royal Canadian Artillery, who eventually made his way through to the Liberation of Holland & for awhile in Germany before heading home to Canada in 1946.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 6 Jun 2013 14:56

My mother's fiancee - an RAF pilot - was shot down over Cherbourg. But for that sad event I'd not be here. She hates the 6th June and if the tv gets on to the invasion she changes channel instantly.

GHeather

GHeather Report 6 Jun 2013 14:50

Thanks for the info ErrolSheep. :-)

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 6 Jun 2013 12:48

The average age of an allied combatant in WWII was around 26.
The average age of an American soldier in Vietnam was 22 (not 19 as is usually stated).
Depending on which statistics you use, the average age of a Killed In Action in WWII for the American forces was also around 26 (stands to reason). This figure was similar for British troops but is far harder to ascertain for German and Russian infantry because records are not as abundant and because both forces enlisted a far more diverse age range, particularly towards the end of the war.
The average age of Americans killed in action in the Vietnam war was 23.1.

GHeather

GHeather Report 6 Jun 2013 12:26

The young ages that so many died during WW2 was terrible! That's war for you! We will always remember them!

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 6 Jun 2013 12:26

I don't but I have visited the Normandy coast where the landings took place and you can still see the Mulberry harbours - fascinating.

GHeather

GHeather Report 6 Jun 2013 12:23

A person linked to my family died on D-Day 6th June 1944, he was only 25. He was a 48 R.M. Commando, and a road was named after him in France. Do you have any family members that were part of D-Day ?