General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mau Mau.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 6 Jun 2013 18:20

I was at school with a girl whose parents were missionaries in Kenya. She was at our school for two years and I believe the family returned to Africa.

Has anyone reading these comments lived there through that period? It would be interesting to have a point of view 'from the horse's mouth' so to speak.

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 6 Jun 2013 17:32

If a child is raped by those 'in charge' does she not deserve compensation? Because there is butchery and atrocities on both sides does not excuse those who are 'supposed to know better'...or does it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22797624

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 6 Jun 2013 16:44

I agree, completely wrong decision.

Time and time again the guilty are portrayed as victims, and the real victims ignored.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 6 Jun 2013 15:40

I am astonished that the UK has apologised and agreed to pay compensation, what about those families who suffered at the hands of the Mau Mau, an pld boss of mine and his family were brutally attacked he had an arm literally chopped of with a machete while they were sleeping - all he and his family got was a the evacuation flight home.

This is yet another example of what a soft touch this country is, watch out for the compensation claims from Argentinians, Saddam Hussein's family and followers, Colonel Gaddafi's family and followers, the list is endless :-|

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 6 Jun 2013 14:50

I am staggered that the UK has apologised to and on top agreed compensation for the Mau Mau. Left to their own devices this terrorist organisation would have left Kenya something like Zimbabwe at best or, far more likely, its neighbour the failed state of Somaliland.

The things that they got up to were much worse than recent events in Woolwich.

As it is by African standards Kenya is fairly modern, more or less democratic and prosperous.

BarneyKent

BarneyKent Report 6 Jun 2013 14:44

This is crazy ! The Mau Mau butchered whole families with machettes, sparing no one, not even women and children and we are paying them?

What next? Compensation to the French for Crecy and Agincourt?

We are so weak now. I am ashamed for my country.

Merlin

Merlin Report 6 Jun 2013 14:41

Very true, I just hope that the same Justice can be applied to the Victims of the MauMau, For the way they treated by them, and the Atrocities wreaked upon their own people and white farmers and their families,it was Horrendous.**M**.

Dermot

Dermot Report 6 Jun 2013 14:35

They say that justice delayed is justice denied. Better late than never, I suppose.