General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Instruction Booklets??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 8 Jun 2013 11:05

Why do so many new fangled gadgets these days come without them

I have an HTC Wildfire mobile phone. Have not got a clue how to use it properly.

Continually googling for instructions on 'How To .....'

And yesterday for the first time in months actually got a WiFi connection. Gone today though. :-S

Although not a techie type, I am not a complete dunce, yet these gadgets are a nightmare....

BarneyKent

BarneyKent Report 8 Jun 2013 11:24

You need a teenager, preferably one in his or her early teens, about 13 or 14 would be the best. They will sort it in about 15 seconds.

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Jun 2013 11:26

If you need any help Piglets Pal I have a teenager who buys, repairs and sells mobiles, he may well know.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 8 Jun 2013 11:30

Maybe worth going back to where you bought it and asking for help?? Also, if you put the name of the phone into google, you may get a help forum.

It seems to be assumed that absolutely everyone knows how to use the new technology - it drives my OH crazy.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 8 Jun 2013 11:35

I got my phone at Phones4You. The staff in our local branch are really good and they don't mind you going back in after the sale - the 17-year-old sorts it out in 10 seconds and makes you feel a complete numpty, but they are always smiley and gracious :-D

Joeva

Joeva Report 8 Jun 2013 12:40

There's this site from Virgin that has manuals to download for HTC Wildfire phones.

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/genericContent.do?contentId=user.guides.howdoi.sm096&make=htc&submit.x=15&submit.y=13

Hope this may be of some help.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 8 Jun 2013 12:53

http://community.phones4u.co.uk/the-complete-htc-wildfire-s-guide/

http://member.america.htc.com/download/web_materials/Manual/HTC_Wildfire/100518_Buzz_HTC_WWE_UM.pdf

jax

jax Report 8 Jun 2013 12:58

I have had internet on my phone for almost a year....still hav'nt found out how to use it, even if I did I couldn't read it anyway.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 8 Jun 2013 13:09

It costs a lot of money to create, update and print manuals. 99% of people never read them. So no more manuals beyond "Getting started ..." However approx 0.1 seconds of Googling found this:

http://dl3.htc.com/htc_na/user_guides/htc-wildfire-cspire-ug.pdf

Alternatively if you are a print person Go to W H SMith
purchase "User Guide to Android" which has it all step by step in nice colored pictures
read, practicing with phone at the same time

As you have a Wildfire it may be running something ancient such as a version of Gingerbread but fear not later versions are not a lot different.

It is possible to ug Wildfire phones to "Ice Cream Sandwich" 4.0 and this is worth doing. The software is free from HTC developer web site. You will need a teenage rellie to do the upgrade ( bribe with an x-box game or something ) though' it is not really that tough. Despite what phone shops may say UG yr version of Android using a release from the HTC web site does not invalidate any guarantee.

Benefits: No stupid built in apps, much better call signal for using as, yes, a telephone, faster wifi, better wifi connections, bug fixes, looks better, some apps won't run under Gingerbread. Maybe u already have ICS in which case congrats.

You can also get Android builds for HTC phones from XA Developers but def not for beginners.

The most bone headed phone shop in the UK are those of Tesco, closely followed by O2. Never ever get a Tesco contract.

T-Mobile are fairly good in store but as the malign influence of Orange spreads don't count on it staying that way. They will def. help beginners so long as you go at a quiet time. They have even been known to ug the Android version ! (which is against EE policy). EE have easily the best London coverage.

"3" are the best cheap deal especially for PAYG.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 8 Jun 2013 14:38

Only ever had p.a.y.g. do not use it often enough to warrant a contract.

Still old enough to still want to use my landline.

Bought my phone direct from Orange online so no shop to go back to and the nearest Orange shop is in Bluewater, too far to walk for me from the car park.

I google for instructions all the time.

Another gripe is the speakers, I have yet to get a phone where the speaker quality is up to scratch. I have had Nokia (good and solid) Samsumg (worst phone ever) and the Current HTC yet I have found with all that after a few months the sound quality is awful, sometimes it is like listening to Norman Collier ...... :-D

jax

jax Report 8 Jun 2013 14:53

I have a cheap Virgin contract...only because I think they believe I still have their media services :-D

Whats wrong with Tesco I have had a contract with them for the last couple of years for one daughter...now the other one has changed over to them, from being with the overpriced O2 for the last 6 years

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 8 Jun 2013 15:17

Virgin do not have a network they are a badged version of EE.

HTC phones do not have very good speakers. Even the One.
OTOH sound from the onboard chip is excellent even on the basic models. One way to enjoy it is through Beats headphones.

There are plenty of standalone speakers which link to the phone using Bluetooth. The sound from the HTC is good. This is easily the best value budget Bluetooth speaker right now tho' you can get new units for £ 12-20 and of course there is eBay.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/audio/portable-audio/portable-speakers/jam-hx-p230bla-eu-wireless-portable-speaker-blueberry-17666716-pdt.html

If you like music on your phone there is a cool app called LastFM - £ 3 per month. Will work over 3G connection as well as WiFi.

I buy my phones up front and just have SIM only contract. Not locked and far less hassle all things considered.

Dermot

Dermot Report 8 Jun 2013 15:22

Multi-language instructions are a god-send to budding linguists. And good fun too.