General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Queen's portrait defaced in Westminster Abbey

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 13 Jun 2013 14:19

A portrait of the Queen in Westminster Abbey has been defaced with spray paint, an Abbey spokesman has said.

The painting by Ralph Heimans went on display in the Chapter House part of the Abbey in May.

It was completed last year for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22892297

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Jun 2013 14:41

how disgraceful

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~ Report 13 Jun 2013 16:39

That's awful, what has she ever done to anyone.....

Jules x

BarneyKent

BarneyKent Report 13 Jun 2013 16:57

I am not an ardent Royalist but this is an act of vandalism which should be punished appropriately: big fine plus - repayment of every penny that is costs to have the painting restored to its original condition, probably many thousands of pounds.

But this won't happen, the bleeding heart Human Rights Brigade will make sure that the culprit gets no more than a proverbial slap on the wrist.

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 13 Jun 2013 18:56

Send them to the Tower!!!! off with his head...and other things :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 13 Jun 2013 19:08

Treason surely and should not go unpunished. I am strongly for the Royal Family and think they do no harm whatsoever, unlike some people in this country who are here uninvited.

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 13 Jun 2013 19:19

They say there's more out than in.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 13 Jun 2013 19:27

A member of Fathers For Justice, apparently.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jun/13/defacing-queen-portrait-fathers-4-justice

Linda

Linda Report 13 Jun 2013 19:35

Something to do with fathers for justice, what I want to know is where were the stuards shameful

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 13 Jun 2013 23:00

So sad for the portrait to be defaced in this way.

It was about the only decent painting of Lillibet to be done in a long time. Definitive and totally appropriate for the Jubilee.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 14 Jun 2013 02:49

Why Fathers for justice, I don't get the connection :-(

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 15 Jun 2013 14:07

I hope the person responsible for this is charged and fined.

Not really an act of a law abiding citizen.