General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Beware of the dangers in a garden

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 14 Jun 2013 17:23

Some days ago, an acquaintence fell in his garden pond - not funny as the outcome could have been sooooooo bad.

He was using a net to scoop some debris floating on the surface, lost his balance and fell totally in. He said the worst thing was being under water and with his trainers on could not get a grip on the floor of the pond. He did cut his head and had to attend the surgery.

He admits he was very shocked but the worst was to come when later that evening he realised he could have hit his head on the york stone paving around the pond, lost consciousness and drowned. He was so very lucky.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Jun 2013 17:45

Oh wow not a nice experience It is said that lots of fatal accidents are home based.

it is a worry too when folks get older and their balance goes. WE cant imagine it will happen to us when we are younger but the time does come.

OH is very vulnerable to falling as he has balance and memory problems

I remember thinking many years ago that in the year 2000 I will be 66 coming up to to 67 and couldnt imagine that scenario!! but it happens time moves on :-|

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 14 Jun 2013 18:02

True Shirley - like car accidents - it is said many are within 5 miles from home!

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 14 Jun 2013 21:51

so, Chris,(Iknow its not yours, you are only quoting someone else.) so after 5 miles we dont really need seat belts..........

Huia

Huia Report 14 Jun 2013 21:56

Ah, Bob, but when you are past the 5 miles there could be another car that is less than 5 miles from home and they could bang into you.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 14 Jun 2013 22:01

Nevva fort of dat!!!

LOL :-S

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 14 Jun 2013 23:49

Dear Chris of Wessex

Hello

What a truly horrific accident.

Hope your friend takes things very easy and takes care of himself.

Take gentle care
Sincere wishes
EOS
xx

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 15 Jun 2013 05:53

A lucky chap indeed to still be with us, as I keep pointing out to my o.h. after his recent accident.

The trouble with accidents at home is that a lot of time older people especially do risky things when no one is around (if they aren't living alone, and then they should wait and ask for help or someone to accompany them) My father, after his heart attack, decided to prune a tree while my Mum was out shopping. He knew she would have said 'Wait till one of the 'children' get here and can do it under your instructions' Waiting was something my father didn't do well.

She came home from shopping to find father sitting on a towel, he had fallen off the ladder and landed on some spare greenhouse glass near the tree and cut his sit-upon. Now it could have been a lot worse, he could have hit his head as well, been unconscious and bled to death if she had been longer at the shops. All ifs buts and ands, but accidents do happen when you least expect them.

Hope your friend gets well soon and is a little more cautious when working alone.

Lizx

Penny

Penny Report 15 Jun 2013 06:31

That's some garden pond! Sounds quite deep.

Please keep your Tetanus up to date if you get into scrapes- know of someone that only scratched themselves on a rose bush whilst weeding. Thought little of it, carried on weeding ( as you do). Two days later she as dead

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 15 Jun 2013 21:30

That's a good reminder Penny, mine was updated when I got bitten on the sit upon by a dog roaming the street. I must check that I am not due another jab, but think they last several years and have had more jabs since the dog bite.

Lizx

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 15 Jun 2013 23:09

Liz - believe they last 10 years.

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 15 Jun 2013 23:24

Canes used to support plants need to be topped with an upturned plant pot, a local lady lost her balance & lost an eye.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 16 Jun 2013 05:39

Yes, I think you are right Chris, will have to check with my doc when I next go but I think I am ok for a bit.

Carol, yogout pots and a bit of blutack or those yogourt drinks containers also fit on canes very well or you can buy special things to fit on the top, from Amazon and other places. How awful that the poor lady lost her eye like that, so easily done.

Lizx