General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Does Anyone Else Feel Like I Do?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 15 Jun 2013 07:14

That it is ridiculous that celebrates should be Knighted for doing their work eg Tony Robinson so far .....OK give them a medal if they are doing good works but hey Knighthood!!.... sorry it makes me mad I think they should do away with Knighthoods anyway :-| Just my opinion .

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 15 Jun 2013 08:16

Tony Robinson wasn't knighted for being famous, he was knighted for his political and public service.

He's a Labour party activist, has been prominent in the actors' union Equity and does a lot of work for charities concerned with the care of the elderly.

Well deserved, I think. Far more so than the usual civil service/business knighthoods awarded for just doing their jobs.

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 15 Jun 2013 08:18

Must read up about that then ..still think knighthoods should be done away with

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 15 Jun 2013 08:23

Nolls from Harrogate- you should dig deep into your purse and give a large donation to a political party and then you too will get a knighthood :-D :-D :-D

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 15 Jun 2013 08:34

OFTG That's what I am thinking ...No problem with Tony R but OK a Labour activist/actors union/ soooo?? charity work ? well done him but hey there's plenty of people who do charity work . and I'm not getting at the Labour party still would think the same for any other political party .... just think in this day and age do we really need Knighthoods... sorry just me thinking aloud :-S

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 15 Jun 2013 09:14

Knighthoods are outdated and should be done away with - no way am I callng anyone Sir or Madam - we are all equal - I'm sure we've all done good deeds in our own little worlds - we do not expect gratitude

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 15 Jun 2013 09:14

Tony gives a lot of time to the Alzheimer's Society, for no pay. And they have made him an ambassador. He's famous, so journalists are more likely to interview him or ask him to speak on TV than they are someone nobody has heard of - a fact of life.

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/travel-lifestyle/people/tony-robinson-on-dementia-and-care/

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 15 Jun 2013 09:15

Having said that, I'm a republican so not that fond of the honours system.

Kense

Kense Report 15 Jun 2013 09:23

Republics have honours systems too.

BarneyKent

BarneyKent Report 15 Jun 2013 10:24

The credibility of the Awards System has been devalued almost to laughing levels in the past 50 years. That is it would be laughable if it were not a serious matter. Awards should be for going above and beyond the call of duty. I agree that in many cases this is what happens, the figure of 72% for ordinary citizens and charity workers has been mentioned. However, that leaves 28% of celebrities, sportsmen and women, bankers, party donors, etc., getting the higher awards, Knighthoods, Damehoods, CBEs, etc. Ordinary plebs get OBEs, MBEs, etc. The whole system remains class ridden, which was supposed to end as long ago as John Major's premiership.

The fact that it remains class ridden is obvious when one looks at the cases of withdrawal of awards. Lester Piggott the jockey was convicted of tax offences and served a prison term. His OBE was immediately withdrawn. Boxer Naseem Hamed had his MBE stripped immediately he was sentenced to 15 months jail for dangerous driving.

But the establishment has ensured that Geoffrey Archer remains a Peer of the Realm, can sit in the House of Lords and take a part in altering the laws of this nation, despite spending time in prison for fraud.

Its time that the Awards System was either handed over to be run by a panel of independent citizens from all walks of life or abolished totally.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 15 Jun 2013 11:07

Geoffrey Archer - groan :-S

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 15 Jun 2013 11:47

You can buy a square foot of land in the north of Scotland, and call yourself a Laird or Lady.

No joke - google for it

:-D

Cheaper than donating lots of dosh to a political party or a charity :-0

Rambling

Rambling Report 15 Jun 2013 12:06

There are full lists for the various honours here ( on the right of page for others)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jun/15/queens-birthday-honours-obe

Lots of voluntary workers and charity workers etc, it's just that the celebrity names make the headlines.

It's a moot point whether someone should get an award for doing their job well, whether it be paid or voluntary, but then it's nice to be given some praise when one goes over and above what is strictly necessary at work isn't it? :-)

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 15 Jun 2013 12:50

I'm sorry RR nothing on the list gets to me ...wonder if I could get an OBE for services for Retired Kitchen Skivvy Head Cook & Bottle Washer Kiddy Minder oh forgot volunteer for Heart Foundation putting leaflets in doors for a number of years and we have standing orders for 2 charities which comes out of our pension, not showing off as I'm sure many many other people do the same agin a Ann says we the ordinary people do our own wee bit in our own wee world without expecting gratitude. To be honest OBE MBE ok but as Ann says we are all equal (or supposed to be) and no way am I bowing my head to Sir or Madam :-S

Robert

Robert Report 15 Jun 2013 13:11

Lets get rid of the Honours List completely!!!

Hundreds of thousands of people do charity/voluntary work without looking for or expecting any credit unlike people like Bruce Forsyth went down on his knees begging for a Knighthood - and he spends most of his time living abroad.

Merlin

Merlin Report 15 Jun 2013 13:18

They give them out like they used to give out Green Shield Stamps they no longer mean anything,as for Knighthoods, If they get them they should be made to behave like the Knights of old leading armies into battle not poncing around like they do now. :-|

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 15 Jun 2013 15:49

Well I am so glad that I am not the only one who thinks enough is enough and get rid of Knighthoods etc. Thanks for your interesting answers :-)