General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Work Stress

Page 1 + 1 of 2

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

wisechild

wisechild Report 19 Jun 2013 15:04

If your GP signs you off as unfit for work it´s illegal for your employer to force you back...especially with threats. Nor are you legally able to decide for yourself that you will go back until you are certified as fit.
That´s why GPs have to give sick notes when they consider that someone is unfit for work.

SueCar

SueCar Report 21 Jun 2013 17:24

How are you today, GrannieAnnie? x

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Jun 2013 17:51

when our daughter got diagnosed with non Hodgkins \Lymphoma she was at stage 3 .

She was working at P&O at Dover. She said they dint have a good reputation as far as she knew for long term sick.

She hadl 6 months chemo every two weeks that laid her very low in between she had the local nursing service coming in do bloods tests etc.we went down every two week to take e her for her chemo and the following week I went down to help when the chemo kicked in.

It wasnt a nice period and she has been left with peripheral; nerve damage to her hands and feet.

After the six months were over she had to have blood test etc and monitoring for five years till they would say cured .

Well her employer got shirty even tho her doc was signing her off every month. She was told you have to see the company doc and HE will say if you are fit for work. She wasn't as still very tired on a daily basis .

The Company Doc said you can work!! so if she didn't go back she lost her job. She started part time but for only two weeks th n was expected to go full time /

They needed the money so she did but it was very hard on her .

Even now some 5 years later she is still feeling the effects of her illness and chemo

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 21 Jun 2013 18:01

I was thinking same when it was said that a doctor's note kept you off work.

I know my company interviews you at home regularly and, if it gets too long, you get sent to company doctor and put under "occupational health". Doctor's papers mean very little if it goes beyond a few days.

Stress is a constant pressure at work - it seems to increase significantly every year in most jobs. But also, the pressure to get everybody back to work and reduce paid absenteeism is top priority with a lot of firms.

Have had a couple of interviews with "the management" in 10 years I have done current job. Usually about performance slipping. And I have been nervous as a kitten because I needed the wage and expected I might be given the push. But meetings have always been much more positive and businesslike than I expected and I have been able to agree an "action plan for improvement" :-)

Hopefully, Annie will feel happier after this meeting. I do hope so.

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 21 Jun 2013 21:55

im having the same problem in the NHS,

ive not gone of work sick,but if it carries on it will effect my health,

in the 12yrs ive worked within the NHS ive only had 5 days off sick,but now im at the stage where my hearts in my mouth as i walk through the doors. :-(

ann

ann Report 21 Jun 2013 22:52

I know that feeling Suzanne and I think its happening in a lot of work places. now. Mine is just a lazy senior that never turns up. I have learnt now when I do her work I e-mail it to my manager before I e-mail her. I was sending my work to her and she was sending it to the manager in her name. She is that lazy she once asked me to do myself a one to one and she would sign it lol. All the training courses online for our company she asks me to do as her grade is too low???? I have not done the last few as we have to use a camera on computer when we are doing it now. But I do find this is all stress. I have been back to work for 3 days and bought work home as she loaded me up with so much. Cant wait now for meeting with head office. Look after your self Suzanne xx

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 21 Jun 2013 23:10

I remember that feeling well, and one day I went home from work and thought 'I just can't do this any more', so I didn't,
I posted in my resignation, followed swiftly by a certificate from my gp.
It took me six months to feel really well again, but I have not looked back.
I know I was fortunate that I was old enough to take my pension and didn't need to work, and that many don't have this option.
Take good care of yourselves Annie and Suzanne. xx

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 22 Jun 2013 07:41

http://www.mind.org.uk/employment

Have a look at the above site Annie, there might be things on there to help and you could get advice as well.

Have been thinking about you, glad you are able to show your work as your own now and not have it hijacked by that stupid woman. Take photos of you working at home so they can see you aren't exaggerating.

Good luck

Lizxx