General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

is it me being a hot headed redhead ?????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 28 Jun 2013 21:37

was fuming last night and cant work out wether I am just being a hot head or if it is wrong. New committee at allotment - not many happy with them but as no one else wanted to take over the role we are stuck with them. Gave them our email just to the secretary so he could contact steve if needed. Got email yesterday from the chairman to everyone whos email they have so now all the plot holders who I don't know have got our email address - to me that is wrong if I wanted all and sundry to have my email I would take an ad out in the paper or send flyers out (joking)

Am I just being too sensitive? (promise not to cry if you say I am)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Jun 2013 21:41

No, if they wanted to send e mail addresses to all they should ask permission. Explain to the secretary that it is not done, it only wants one to get hacked.

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 28 Jun 2013 21:42

That's out of order.

When i send emails i always delete the senders email address.

There is a way that you can send a blanket email but only the receivers email address shows.

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 28 Jun 2013 21:50

Steve did tqake a copy to old secretary today as they are both trustees and he said wasn't on if he needed anyone he would ring or come round

we only live a few doors away from the chairman she could of easily put note through door.

Can feel an email to tehm coming on lol

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Jun 2013 23:42

Definitely out of order.
It's easy to send an e-mail without showing everyone's e-mails - just put them in Bcc.
We do it all the time at work, as we e-mail both care homes and individuals.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Jun 2013 03:54

email addresses members should have been put into BCC ............... Blind Copy ........ with the Secretary's own email address in the address line ..........

.......... ie, he sent the email to himself, with copies to everyone else, but no-one else's address is showing .

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 29 Jun 2013 05:44

Definitely out of order, altho some of my friends do it. I don't make a fuss as my email address doesn't disclose who I am, it's a silly one lol

Keep a note of this error Dawnie, and keep a list of all the things they do that aren't right, you never know when you need a little ammunition lol

Lizx

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 29 Jun 2013 09:41

DONT YOU HAVE TO AGREE WITH YOUR EMAIL OR ANY INFORMATION
ABOUT YOU,IF THEY GIVE IT OUT SURLEY ITS AN INVATOIN OF PRIVACY.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 29 Jun 2013 10:05

Although it isn't really an issue as far as hacking is concerned, it should be borne in mind that even societies and charities come under the Data Protection Act.
In theory an offence has been committed because the "data controller" has made your personal information public.
However, it is not quite as simple as that. Can you be identified by your email address?
The Data Protection Act is very complex but nevertheless, your email address should not be made "public" and it is common courtesy to use BCC in this sort of instance anyway. ANYONE who sends out an email to more than one person should have the common decency to use BCC every time and if you forward an email you should always delete ALL previous addresses. Common decency, good practice and pure netiquette!

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 29 Jun 2013 21:57

hubby going to mention it in front of the other members (if they turn up) at meeting tomorrow see the reaction and tell tehm Im not happy about it, the one that sent email isn't even one we gave email to so hes passed it on to her and now shes passed it on to everyone else.

Steve had a Michael Winner moment telling me to calm down dear you would think after so long together he would know how to handle my temper wouldn't you and that wasn't the right way lol